New Canoe Dog

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I adopted a 2 year old Siberian Husky female from a local rescue agency. Got her last night and this morning we went for our first canoe ride. We didn't go very far, just circles and figure 8s, forwards and backwards about 50 ft out on the lake for about 30 minutes. She stayed in the boat and made no effort to get out even when a big flock of geese came in. She even put up with my rocking the canoe, just looked at me as if to say, "OK, knock it off, no more funny stuff". Yes, she swims just fine, showed me her swimming ability before we got in the canoe.

Congrats - she sounds beautiful. Thanks on behalf of all rescues for getting another one out of a cage... and onto sofas, at parks, and into canoes, where they belong.

Just the sort of story that brings a smile on a rainy day--- she's undoubtedly figured out she's one lucky pup!

I will post some pics when we are a little more comfortable in the canoe. She is really doing well, we saw a big flock of turkey in the woods and she didn't even bark at them. Squirrels, well that is a different story.

I remember the first time I took my newly adopted puppy for a sail in my sail boat about twenty years ago. He'd settle down on the seat on the lee side of the cockpit and, just as his eyes were closing, I'd tack. He'd get up, walk around the stern seat to the new lee side only to repeat the process a few minutes later. After three or for tacks, he sighed and stared at me with a look on his face that clearly said, "would you cut that out and make up your mind!"

It will be fun to see how my 12+ year old border collie mix likes the canoe that I should have finished soon. She'been with me on my sailboat, my inflatable dinghy and my Folbot Super but hasn't ever been in a canoe.

Do you use any sort of padding to keep your Husky's claws from scratching the varnish? That's my biggest concern.

I have been using 2'X2' anti fatigue foam floor pads from Tractor Supply, not so much for the varnish but for my knees and now for the pooch to have some grip rather than slip. A 4 pack is about $12. However, I recently saw another kind of pad that I may try as it was a single anti slip piece about 4'x2' at Menards. Any canoe I have that is dedidcated solo is well used as the rivers I mostly paddle are full of logs and other hidden objects. So I don't worry to much as varnish is renewed/refreshed every other year. Plus, the previous owner of the one I mostly used filled all nooks and cranies with paste wax. The only solvent I have found is gasoline. So far I have not cared to wash it out with gas. The nasty strippers may work and when that time comes then I will worry about it. The canvas has an epoxy filler that is darn near impervious.

Back