New curved canoe decks Howto

German_canoe

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Quick question for the wood experts.
I need 2 curved decks as shown in the picture. Any clue how to best make them ?
I will probably use Ash for the decks.
THx

Attachments

• R20150629_203344.jpg
    R20150629_203344.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 434
  • R20150629_203259.jpg
    R20150629_203259.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 430
I was going to steam new decks on my Old Town HW, but after seeing how much the inwales straightened coming of the form, I decided not to risk it and cut them out of a block instead. I was using sapele but ash should be a bit more predictable in the way it bends

Sam

The deck that is included as an example of one needing replacement actually looks very reusable. What is the reason for replacing it? It's normally prefered to try and retain as many origianl parts as possible/practical.

If you do choose to go ahead with steaming and forming, a small house or railroad jack provides more preasure than clamps.

If you do steam them, remember to cut the piece bigger than necessary as the edge may crack and need to be cut off.

PM

Steam bending decks is not my area of expertise. However, seeing as how that deck has a very deep cut-out, and thus very long thin “prongs,” I would fear the long narrow prongs would break off when bent under pressure.

A safer, easier approach would be start with an oversize (thicker) blank and replicate the curve by shaping it by hand, with rasp, plane or whatever.

Making the jig (form) needed to steam bend the deck would likely take much more time than just starting with an oversized blank.

I'm with MGC on this one. The decks pictured look like they could be re-used. They appear to be cut from crotch wood with the grain pattern curving around the prongs. Making new ones matching the old ones is going to be a lot of work assuming you can find suitable stock to begin with.

JCC

Consider making the bending form in both male/female and bending the board after soaking, and then cut out the deck after bending. Steam for an hour per inch.

I agree with others - your decks look fine, so why replace them? But if you do, then yes, bend them. If you carve from a single block of wood, the grain run-out will produce a grain pattern that looks terribly different from normal decks.

If you bend, do as Dave suggests - bandsaw a male-female jig out of a large block of wood that can be made by gluing up a stack of heavy lumber. Once bandsawn to the curve you wish your new decks to be (or a slightly stronger curve in case of spring-back), cut your bending stock over-sized as Paul said, and don't yet cut the curve of the decks. I've never had the edges crack off (not exactly sure what that means); I make mine over-sized because the three points of a deck triangle would take a tremendous amount of force during bending - not good on those narrow areas relative to the full width at the center. That is, the bending jig contacts a triangular blank at these three points and along a line at the middle of the deck. (Maybe Paul means that the two inboard corners are most likely to fracture in bending... agreed, along with the tip). So anyway, I make a trapezoid for a blank so there is no pointy tip and the angles of the sides are significantly less acute.

Soak the stock in water for a few days, then steam for an hour per inch of thickness, after which they can be bent using either some large, heavy-duty clamps or a frame and bottle jack. Leave the decks in the jig(s) for as long as possible to thoroughly dry (I have pairs of identical jigs for each shape desired, so both decks can be bent at once). After thorough drying (weeks if possible, depending upon wood species), remove the bent deck blanks, shape to fit the gunwales, and use a bandsaw to make the cutout in the amidships face. Do any final shaping and sanding before installing with bedding compound aong the edges that mate with the gunwales. All done!

It appears in the second picture the piece of wood originally selected has a grain that curves around the deck, if that is the case it's a real good reason to re-use them, ya don't find selected wood like that too easily.

I vote for keeping the originals too-- for poetic reasons. The deck is a defining part of a canoe. And, as a bow-paddler, my eyes often rest upon the deck. When I take photos, the deck is often central to the picture, with the lake beyond. Perhaps two or three generations of people looked at the deck as they paddled.

Back