new chestnut owner needs id help

zutefisk

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Any help you folks can give me Id'ing this canoe would be appreciated

Just bought a chestnut from original owner who purchased it circa 1965. Help Id'ing this would be appreciated. Still has chestnut decal on breast plate.

Serial Number 46 50873

Length 16'
Width 34"
Depth approximately13.25"

Ribs 1.5" x 3/8" spaced at 1.5"

Width and depth are a bit suspect. Canoe has led a hard life. Major repair has port side looking a bit wide to my eye with almost no tumble home. Center could be a bit deep too.

Last edited:
Yeah the numbers are a little off sometimes. They weren't as meticulous in their measurements as they once were. You also mention the canoe has led a hard life which could explain it as well. I have a Pal from the 50s with narrow ribs and one from the 60s with narrow ribs (both in various stages of repair). Nice canoes! Did you get a good deal on it?

Not a great deal, the high end of a fair price. Inwales are intact, stems are sound, ribs and planking that do not need to be replaced have that golden glow takes 40 years to get.

Pretty excited today. Just got back from a couple days puttering around on the Olympic Pennisula. Picked up some spar grade sitka spruce for new outwales and some beautiful yellow cedar for planking and ribs.

Back