Need help with Peterborough Canoe Identification

Dayle Gowan

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have just started repairing a 16' Peterborough Canoe.
Repairs are relatively small- replace 4 ribs, small amount of planking. Strip and revarnish inside, new canvas, etc.

My problem is that I would like to get a bit more information about model and age.
The model-serial number information, I believe, is two four digit numbers on the stem.
These are 1009-3492, where 1009 should be the model number.
I checked various sources, including dragonflycanoe.com/id/ but the 4 digit model numbers are 14xx, or 18xx.

It seems that later vintage Peterborough canvas covered Canoes were made by Chestnut, and builder in Quebec was also producing "Peterborough" canoes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pics always tell a better story but if it is indeed a peterborough then I would wager that 3492 may actually be 1492. I wouldn't wager much mind you, but have a second look, those 16' Champlains as they called them are very common.

The main reason I think it is a Peterborough is the label on the bow, but of course it could have been added to some other manufacturers canoe.

The other thing is the 1009-3492 stamped on the stem, which agrees with some Peterborough documentation, two four digit numbers xxxx-yyyy
(but 1009 should be the model ) The numbers stamped on the stem are quite distinct, although the 1009 could be 1000 with the last "0" stamped twice.
All the other numbers are quite clear.

According to the Peterbough Museum and Archives, "The Chestnut Canoe Co. obtained the moulds, patterns and patents of the Peterborough Canoe Co. and continued to build canoes at its factory in Oromocto, New Brunswick until 1978".

It may be that my canoe is from that era, and Chestnut used a modified identification scheme.

Dayle,

Peterborough canoes with four digits model number (built after 1939) start with 14xx, 15xx, 18xx or 21xx. Normally the model number is followed by the serial number. However, it is not uncommon to find Peterborough canoes with the serial numbers in front of the model numbers. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 3 in the 3492 actually is a 1 as Walt pointed out. Post a few pictures of the canoe and its measurements and I am sure we can figure out what you actually got.

After the bankruptcy of the Canadian and Peterborough Canoe Co a good portion of the usable moulds and patterns were purchased by Jack Richardson, the former GM of Peterborough Canoe Co and transferred to his new company RILCO in Lakefield. A few others were sold to other small canoe building enterprises and quite a number of old moulds were left outside their Monaghan plant for several years before they finally were brought to the landfill. None, however, were transferred to Chestnut Canoe Co.

Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Company
Buckhorn, Ontario
www.buckhorncanoes.com

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
it looks like you have nailed it. I was reluctant to scrape away the old varnish, in case I damaged the stamping. I applied some varnish remover, scrubbed carefully, and then saw that what I had thought was a poorly stamped 3 was actually a I with a small horizantal stain in the middle of the vertical bar. So, 1492 it is.
If dragonflycanoe.com information is correct, that means it is a Champlain, 1956 vintage, and probably number 9 in the production run.

The dimensions are pretty close as well:
length- 15'- 11" (no stem/stern brass bands or canvas)
width- 33"
depth- 13 3/8" (a bit deeper than the dargonfly.com chart for 1492)
ribs- 1 1/2" with 1 1/2 spacing
Inwale appears to be spruce
Outwale appears to be ash

You can see from the photos that the planking at the sheer line is a bit soft. Any thoughts on how to best handle that?
I see some people suggest a good epoxy to strengthen it, since it will be covered with canvas and outwale, or does it make more sense to replace a narrow strip of planking all around?

Thank you for your comments..
cheers,
Dayle

Canoe-Sheer Line.jpgCanoe-Ser#.jpgCanoe-Decal.jpgCanoe-1.jpg

Back