Need help identifying a canoe

NUMB3R

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,

I found this canoe and the seller swears it used to have a chestnut badge on it. He also says it is 100+ years old.

16 feet long
It has over decks
Outer stems
Hardware has slot screws
A lot of recurve.

Please help.

Thanks

Attachments

• $T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fBWFYBRg)vZdhyw~~48_20.JPG
    $T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fBWFYBRg)vZdhyw~~48_20.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 300
Talked to who? The guy says his dad had it as a teenager, which I would guess was 80 years or so.

Its an earlier Peterborough with outside stems and the old town style deck, mine was a model 604 but not deluxe with outside stems. the slats are covering the holes from rotted or ripped cane. If its a Thompson I`ll eat it; not that canoes dont move around but have never seen or heard of one in Ontario, too many manufacturers in central Ontario where this one is to have likely imported one. In fact, only an handful of antique Old Towns have ever surfaced in my travels, mostly a result of american cottagers bringing them up with them. The American stuff is rare around these parts, sadly for us.

Thanks everyone,

Andre, any idea how old this would be? Also do you find it odd that the screws are slot and not Robertson?

Thanks,

Also I would seriously like that bn morris you found on craigslist, too far to drive though.

Mike

Back