My first restoration is underway

Knu

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I posted a few weeks ago and got some great advice from folks, and decided to strip off the old glass, clean things up, and go back to canvas.

So... Now I have some questions.

1) I am working on getting the glass/epoxy out of the gaps between the planks. I used the technique suggested in this thread: which has worked well in general. One issue I am running into now is that some of the planks are spaced close enough together that I cannot get a blade/pick between the planks. Thus, I am worried that I will wind up chewing away at the wood to get out the glass/epoxy. Any thoughts?

2) I am thinking of moving on to stripping the varnish on the inside of the canoe. Is there any reason I need to get all of the epoxy resin off the exterior before I do this next step?

3) I am looking at the decks/inwales and there seems to be something funky going on. Rather than the inwales extending all the way to the bow and stern, they end at the decks. I am not sure how to deal with this, if this is original to the design or if it is a legacy of a previous restoration. Again, thoughts? As an aside, I am becoming increasingly curious as to the history of this boat. There are no signs of any SN or manufacture markings. Some, but not all of the, bolts are the classic Old Town diamond heads...

Attachments

• P1000488.jpg
    P1000488.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 325
  • P1000493.jpg
    P1000493.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 367
The inwales appear to have been "worked on" before. Ideally, they would extend to the tip and the repair would have been better done if it were scarfed.

Good luck on the restoration. Keep us posted.

The canoe has definitely been "worked" on (over?) before.

The patched section of the inwale that runs along the deck is attached to the deck pretty well. Should I try to remove that section and replace it with a longer piece and scarf that into the rest of the inwale?

Back