My first canoe! I need help....

gonzalo

Hi, i've rescued this canoe from going to the dump, and now i have plans to restore it. My main issue is that i've never been in a canoe before, i'm from Spain and we don't do a lot of canoeing over there.
I have access to a small wood shop and a decent sized steamer. I plan to replace the rotten parts by making new custom pieces.
Since i have a limited budget, i'm looking for some tips to make the whole process cheaper.
So, my questions are:
Can someone tell me the brand? I've been looking and can't figure it out. I'd like to see how it's suposed to look once it's finished.
What has to be completely replaced and what can i get away with partially replacing (decks, inwale, outwale...), even the kind of wood would be soo helpful.
I live in Toronto, does anyone know about stores/shops where to get materials and help?

Any feedback would be helpful, cause i'm such a rookie in this field.
Thanks all, Gonzalo.

Attachments

• canoa(11).jpg
    canoa(11).jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 281
  • canoa12).jpg
    canoa12).jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 272
  • canoa2).jpg
    canoa2).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 271
  • canoa1).jpg
    canoa1).jpg
    111 KB · Views: 246
  • canoa (14).jpg
    canoa (14).jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 240
  • canoa (6).jpg
    canoa (6).jpg
    123 KB · Views: 238
You have a Huron canoe. The ribs and planking are white cedar most likely. You can search "Huron" on this site and find more info.

It is a 15.5' Huron in very restorable condition. These were built by the Huron First Nation's people on their reserve in Quebec, Canada. The majority were sold as 16' through Simpson Sears. The babiche seats were usually either moose or horse hide. Decks and thwarts are Maple.

Attachments

• 16' Huron 05 09 012.jpg
    16' Huron 05 09 012.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 16' Huron 05 09 018.jpg
    16' Huron 05 09 018.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 16' Huron 05 09 009.jpg
    16' Huron 05 09 009.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 220
thanks! i've checked and now i expect being able to start working in the canoe this weekend. Thanks all

My e-mail is homerdog3@yahoo.com. Send me an email and I will reply with the 12 page repair and restoration manual from Old Town Canoe Co. Islandfallscanoe.com is another nearby resource. They are in Maine. They might be able to recomend a supplier in Toronto.

Back