I need a canoe cover to protect my 1907 Charles River

Bongocruiser

Lake Winola PA
I just recanvassed my 1907 for the second time in 5 years and just finished the gold leaf stripe this week. The first time I did the canvas it was great for two or three years but it began to tear along the gunnels until I had to redo the whole job. I don't know if I put the canvas on too tight the first time or not but I suspect the problem is that I leave it in the sun on my dock and I suspect the sun and moisture took it's toll. I want the canoe to be near where it can be used and I'm not one to keep it in the garage.

So my question is-would I be smart to have a Dacron cover made to keep the rain off and more importantly protect it from the sun's rays? Perhaps there is a better product that is light weight and has UV protection?

It's a beautiful close gunnel canoe that is as close to perfect for 103 year old as I've seen.

Attachments

• williamoliver1.jpg
    williamoliver1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 317
Wow, what a real beauty! Not sure what to do for a covering shy of building a little shelter for it. If that were mine I wouldnt leave it out, it too beautiful! Nice job! Cool that your son? is involved with it too!;)

OT-o7

I would suggest a couple of sheets of corrugated green FILON and 6, 4x4 posts....make a covered garage off to the side........or bring it over to my house and I could store it for you......could be a problem finding it, though when you want to go out. NICE BOAT AND GOLD IT REALLY GOOD ....Dave

Was the paint near the gunwales really badly weathered/faded/chalked? Paint is a superb UV blocker, confining damage just to the exposed surface. If the paint in those areas was still in decent shape and present, then your problem wasn't likely caused by UV damage. Moisture getting down between the canvas and gunwales would be a more likely cause. Enamel has a limited tolerance for having moisture trapped against it and some of the stuff that grows in damp places like that can actually eat both wood and natural fiber fabrics and weaken them substantially.

This is one of those instances where typical wooden canoe construction tends to differ from typical wooden boat construction. On a wooden boat that will be left outside, the gunwale-to-hull connection would usually be bedded to seal out moisture. If not, the end result is usually rot of some sort. Most canoe builders don't bed these joints since the typical use (and storage) for the canoe doesn't expose it to a constant supply of moisture.

There is certainly nothing wrong with providing good UV protection for any boat. It will make your paint and varnish last longer and look better down the road, but unless the paint itself had really deteriorated, I really doubt it's to blame here.

As far as covers go, acrylic or polyester marine canvas (Sunbrella, Odyssey, etc.) will last the longest, block UV best and maintain water protection with a certain amount of breathability (which may often be far more important than keeping it completely dry). However, my own experience with the "canoe-in-a-bag" scenario (even a really good bag as I have access to all the fancy yacht canvas I could ever want) has been pretty miserable - leading to a lot of refinish work. I will never again stick a wooden canoe inside a bag unless I'm positive that that bag is vapor tight and it's sealed shut on a very dry day. If I had to leave one outside, I'd fabricate some sort of awning or shed that didn't touch the boat and had a lot of airflow around it.

I think the elephant in the room here is that it's an absolutely gorgeous boat and a fine and valuable historic example of canoe building of the day. Like it or not, the truth is that if you leave it outside, it's going to get trashed, and there is little you can do to prevent it. It would be a real shame to see that happen and aside from building some sort of really serious shelter for it, it is going to happen. Weather exposure will deteriorate fiberglass canoes, plastic canoes and even aluminum canoes. It has no trouble destroying wood and canvas canoes. I must admit that when I saw the picture of that boat and read that you plan to keep it outside, my first thought was "This guy's nuts!" -- and I'm probably not the only one who had that reaction (though most folks on this forum tend to think in a more tactful manner:D). That boat deserves a bit of pampering, especially during the times when you're not using it and it's just waiting there for you. Do it right and it will be around for another 107 years. There are a lot of options for awnings, sheds, etc. that could do the job, but I don't believe any sort of bag or boat cover is really going to be the best answer.

Thanks Todd, It's the in depth answers like this that keep this WCHA forum the best of any I know. It's a good thing my hobby is boat repair because with two Chris Craft runnabouts, two homemade CLC kayaks, and 3 canoes (yes i'm nuts) i'm running out of room. I never set out to own museum pieces, they just turn out that way and then I don't know what to do except use them and repair the damage. If I ever start to catch up I have my kids to help scratch them up too. You are probably right that it's not the UV so much as the wet/dry cycle of leaving it out in the rain. This is the second time I had to recanvas a canoe because it tore along the gunnel. Like everything else the cost of these beautiful boats is less than the cost of keeping them nice.

I agree with you that I either need to build a awning or extend my roof line. What I currently use are horizontal pipes attached to the side of the boathouse where I stack the canoes and kayaks. but they get wet when it rains.

canoe cover

There are lots of fabric available but I think you need to remember waterproof fabric does not breath well. I have made a few covers and would love to get in to the business. My trade is awnings and boat covers, second generation. Andy

Back