Moose River

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
Well, my tripping bud Dave couldn't swing our earlier spring trip through F. Harvey's backyard, so we loaded the boats up again and did the Moose River circuit. The weather was a big improvement except for the dreaded Attean and Holeb WINDS!!!!. The flies were feeding nicely:eek: . We actually saw a genuine Moose or three Meese on the Moose River this time.

The Moose River trip wouldn't be complete without the mile or so long Attean-Holeb Portage, which builds character or something like that. Dave's kids loved it.:p

We had much more company enroute this time of year. Other canoe parties were encountered. Much of the company was, shall we say, well lubricated.:rolleyes: Oh well, it was still a great way to spend a few days.

Here are a few photos:

Tripping Bud Dave filled my Old Town Guide with enough food for his growing kids and enough gear to keep life comfortable. They spent extra time portaging and showed up late to camp....

e8e0ba8b.jpg

Holeb Falls is a thirty foot cataract at about the halfway point.

e8e0ba36.jpg

Boulders fill the channel along the way.

e8e0ba01.jpg

The last day broke beautiful and sunny, but with it came a headwind to test our muscles on the lake to the takeout.

e8e0b9c1.jpg

I paddled my 17 foot Prospector solo this time (regular trippin' son Nimrod Brendan was at the beach at Keuka in NY of all places), Steve paddled his homebuilt, and Trippin' bud Dave paddled my 18 foot Old Town Guide. Dave's older son paddled a Walden kayak which served well in the lake winds.

e8e0ba6b.jpg

Back