Measuring depth of canoe

I usually just measure from the middle of the bottom of the canoe to the top of the thwart and then add enough to account for the keel, hull, and gunwales. The correct way would probably involve a level and a way to more accurately measure the extreme overall outside dimension. Others with more experience can probably offer more clever solutions.

Benson

In the usual sense, depth is measured at the centerline, amidships. To be truly specific, some reference should be given (such as Benson did above, or on a lines drawing I am looking at that states "Depth Amidship - Inside -..."

I do it by placing the end of the rule on the plank closest to amidship (sometimes there is a rib dead-amidships), and sight across the two gunwales to get the depth. Add 1/4" (+/-) to get the depth to outside of hull.

I do not usually include the keel when reporting depth. (I would include the keel in reporting "draft," which is the minimum amount of water depth required to float the canoe).

Dan

It appears from the above posts that one finds amidships and width center and measure vertically from top of plank to top of the gunnel and you will have the depth of the canoe. Is that a correct statement?

Back