Maine Registration??

Benson, I'm sure I'm not the only person who might have a interest in two old wooden kayaks, but I might like to be the first! Regardlesss of the availability of the kayaks I intend to spend some time this weekend sending some form of communication to someone. I have/had been planning at least two excursions in Maine this summer (I can't wait to get back on the water!), but on principle alone I won't if there is a fee involved or I have to deface my 90-year-old OT with registration numbers. Thanks for your feedback and leadership on this improtant issue. Tom

While you're at it, you might point out the consequences of such a tax for Maine as a site for activities such as the WCHA Assembly or the Maine Canoe Symposium.

I have, today, exchanged e-mails with a member of the Maine legislature. It would appear that the issue of a registration fee/sticker has been removed from the budget and is dead at this point. The response I got suggests that they have indeed been receiving plenty of feedback on this issue.

registration

it may have been pulled but it is far from dead it will appear again next year keep those letters and phone calls coming

Regs.

Fitz said:
I got wind of a Maine canoe and sailboat registration effort. Anyone know anymore about this?
Well I can't say about any state but Utah. If it is powered by anything other then a paddle you have to register it withe the state and county numbers showing on the bow. $38.oo in Utah:rolleyes: Well have a good one Rick

inner-tubes included

hi fellow canoeist's/kayakers' - good luck in Maine and elsewhere where the bureaucy continues to punish the people for enjoying nature from the vantage point of a human powered/ propelled non-polluting quiet water craft. A few years ago the Oklahoma legislature snuck-in a provision into an bill that required registration of any and all water craft on Okla. waters. This even included 'float tubes'- you all probably remember them being called 'truck innertubes'- if that isn't a joke, I don't know what is. By the way- shortly after this the politico bureau voted themselves a nice RAISE! As for me and mine there will be no numbers or milfoil registration stickers defaceing my canoes.

make them pay $$$

I have just returned from a trip to the northeast where the discussion of registration of human powered water-craft is still ongoing. One suggestion made was to charge the offending state/or agency an advertising fee for the use of the watercraft as a billboard. I have checked on the rental rates of billboards and they average @ $1.20 per sq.ft. per month. Assuming a 16' canoe has roughly 70' square of surface area- that would translate to a billing of $84.00 per month to the state /or agency for promoting the state /recreational advertising. ( $1008.00 per year) something to consider.:rolleyes: :D

Back