linseed oil Yes Or No

sam.p

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Ok. Before I canvas . Linseed oil and turpentine mixture applied to hull, yes or no. Some Say linseed oil will be mold/ fungus food. What to do?

Thanks
sam

You do know that you will get a different answer from each person who replies right.

So with that said. If the wood is old and dry, I oil as follows, if the wood isn't dry, I varnish.

Inside - Tung oil 50/50 with mineral spirits. I use tung oil as I'm told it doesn't turn dark. Mineral spirits because it doesn't smell like turps and I can apply it inside (with care.)

Outside - Linseed oil 50/50 with mineral spirits.

I add a 1 oz packet of mildewcide in each batch.
And no more then 1 qt oil in the mix, ie, don't put on too much.

Note that it will take some time for this to dry so don't be in a hurry to varnish or canvas.

Dan

The statement that linseed oil makes good rot food came from research done by the Forest Products Lab - a place with no axe to grind or product to sell and pretty good credibility. Personally, I don't use it on anything and have no plans to do so. If I wan't a better quality "oil"product That saturates better and dries much faster, I use Deks Olje #1, which is actually a blend of solvent with alkyd and urethane resins. I've never found any oil finishing product that I thought was easier to work with or which held up as well.

Sam,

No, what ever they sell in the home centers, ie, Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
They usually have 1 oz packets for addition to paint in the paint dept, usually for a couple $$'s each.

Note, I've also added the mildewcide to the filler.

Dan

Back