linseed oil conditioner

ppride

Canoe Builder
Roland Thurlow's book uses a 3-1 mix of linseed oil and cuprinol to condition an old canoe before canvassing. I can't find clear cuprinol locally and am curious if I can thin the linseed with mineral spirits, and what other folks are using. Pete

Rollin wrote that back in the days when Cuprinol was oil-based. Its not any more, so mineral spirits or turpentine would be your appropriate thinner.

Maybe my memory doesn't serve me right, but didn't Cuprinol contain an anti-mildew compound at some point? The next question is whether it still does?

pklonowski said:
Maybe my memory doesn't serve me right, but didn't Cuprinol contain an anti-mildew compound at some point? The next question is whether it still does?

It was copper napthenate. Maybe zinc napthenate in the clear (?).

The simplest solution is to get the mildicide additive from the paint shop. Comes in little packets you squeeze into your finish. It's compatible with oil and water based finishes, so you can add it to your oil if oiling your hull, your filler, and your paint if you want.

I use linseed/mineral spirits 50/50 on the outside,
tung oil/mineral spirits 50/50 inside.

I mix up about 1/2 gal of each MAX, usuallly less, so after the mineral spirits evaporates, that's 1 qt liquid each of the oil max.

Dan

Yes.
I went to the mineral sprits because the turp smelled so "bad" (much) and I was working in the house. With low oder mineral sprits, there was very little smell in the house. (and windows for fresh air were also open with fans)

Back