lightweight trailer

ken mueller

Canton, Ohio
I am trying to locate a lightweight trailer to haul a canoe. Due to very limited storage space, I need a trailer that folds, collapses, or takes a part easily. I have found several, but all are made in australia. Google "folding boat trailers", that's what i am looking for. The flip n easy trailer would be good for me. I can probably make a trailer out one offered at northern tool, but as a last option. Any ideas? Thanks

We built a folding storeable trailer from Harbor Freight a year or so ago. It was for a Cris Craft Kit row boat 12'er. The trailer was Chinese and I was not all that impressed with it. but it was serviceable.

I have never used or set one up but I have seen some at places like Lowes, Home depot that are folding with wheels for storage. it might be adaptable.
I think the problem would be with the length of the tongue. Also I think Tulley Or one of the other car top rack places makes a canoe trailer.?

I bought a 78" Yakima Rack and Roll (http://yakima.com/shop/trailers) off Craigslist for considerably less than list price. I am really happy with it. I can haul two canoes side by side and two on the car or any combination of bikes, canoes, etc., using other Yakima stuff I have. I have mine folded up against the garage wall for the winter and it is not more than 10" off the wall. I like the older Yakima gunwale brackets better than the newer ones as they are taller. They are almost always for sale on ebay. My record for the trailer is the big Yakima cargo bin, four bikes and a SUP.

Good luck, Joe

I love my Sportrig trailer...made is California...sportsrig.com/
The models offered have been improved since mine was made and look very reliable (see Oct 2012 issue of WC).
Not inexpensive, but I would strongly endorse them. I was lucky and found mine used on eBay at a good price.

Back