Kennebec launch

Billm

Canoes & Guideboats
My wife and I took advantage of the nearly 70 degree weather here in the Adirondacks to put my nearly-completed Kennebec project in the water. Fortunately, it floated because the water temperature wasn't anywhere near 70.
This boat was built in 1923 according to the build records. I have no idea how or where it was used for the next 70 years. I bought it from a woman who discovered it in her basement after her husband had died. Her husband had stripped the canvas and the interior varnish and made some attempts at restoring the stems. The boat was in the condition that you see in the first photo when I got it. It sat in my barn for the next 20 years. I started working on it last May.
I replaced inwales, outwales, decks, seats, thwarts, 7 ribs, numerous rib tops and about 20% of the planking. I still have to replace the short gunwale caps and the floor rack. Although there was a keel on it originally, I'm not planning to replace it.
Unfortunately, the boat will probably not be in the water again for until next spring.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 253
  • LaunchA.jpg
    LaunchA.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 279
  • LaunchB.jpg
    LaunchB.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 314
It looks beautiful--- glad you were able to launch and paddle before winter. Do you have a winter project planned?

Kathy

Yes, I've started working on the Old Town which you helped identify a few weeks ago. I also have a guideboat which has been has been under construction for far too long. It really needs my attention.

That looks like the same boat I have, a 16' open gunwale. Mine looks a little better than your "before" picture, but will need new stems, repairs to the gunwales, and about 30% new planking. Mine has caps covering the openings between the decks and the outwale. Is that typical?

Hi Kurt--

The trim on open gunwale Kennebecs, Morrises and Skowhegans... and maybe others... is typical. Canoes were built with a lot of woodworking finesse back then. I'm not sure, but maybe Morris was the first to use this particular detail (as you describe on your Kennebec)... while Gerrish put narrow rounded pieces on either side of the open wales for the entire length of the gunwale. My feeling is that the open gunwale was such a new "look", the early builders wanted to soften it and make it attractive and appealing by adding these decorative trim-pieces.

I'll attach a Kennebec example, and the Gerrish is on page 34 of "The Wood and Canvas Canoe".

Kathy

Attachments

• my kennebec.jpg
    my kennebec.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 221
Back