It begins..

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
remains of decks and trim off, needs new stems, planking, gunwale work and some ribs.
and a mile of mahogany for decks and seats, unbelievable how much steel is in one of these boats.

Attachments

• IMG_4031.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4032.jpg
    IMG_4032.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 271
Steve, it actually came back into shape nicely once they came off, the mahogany was so split and twisted. On an totally unrelated note, I've got original Charles River mahogany trim pieces and a piece of a seat for sale or trade:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_4039.jpg
    IMG_4039.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4040.jpg
    IMG_4040.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 217
Muskoka miracle

Andre.........WOW, what a trip you are on. My first Boston boat was similar to your project and you will be amazed at the satisfaction you will feel when she hits the water once more. I am curious if you found any special decorative work on the canvas that was clearly original. I suggest that when you install the new decks you make sure they are not going to be under any stress when fastened down....better to make sure they are formed true to their ultimate position early on. I dried mine clamped on the boat for a good while prior to final shaping. I like to seal the undersides as well, because you will never see them again, same for the deck supports. As I recall, the deck panel's outer edges are typically beveled to a feather edge to fit well along the top of the inwale and really easy to hurt. Mine were secured with steel nails which were solid after many decades of use on the Charles. The heads came off with the Dremel and they lifted right off. After a good deal of tedious edge repair, the edges were treated with a thinned epoxy for strength as the wood was a little brittle. lead holes and a slight countersink allowed fastening without any stress at the edges. A very delicate process, but the results were terrific.
Can't wait tho see yours when she is done. have fun. Mon Ami ...Dave DeVivo

Hi Dave,
Hope your New Year is going well - it was time to start the old girl, she is rough but restorable. the decks and trim are junk, and I need to make 3 deck beams but copies will be simple. The wedges are all there, and the stem pieces for patterns - I am going to laminate new inners. the shape is remarkably true, likely due to the fiberglass. There is is a strip of original canvas under the outer gunwales, it was navy blue and so will be again when done. Thanks for the advice about decks, i thought the same since the framing is very dry and softwood, i doubt it could hold down new decking. The decking and gunwale strips were beveled on the edges but not really feathered from what I can tell. I have about 3 ribs to do for sure and 1 or 2 back side repairs, and a bunch of tips. I am most looking forward to a period paint job, something like you are known for...

Andre,
A courting canoe guy? Wow. Didnt know you were that kinda guy. I got an Arnold, can't wait to restore her. Dave Devivo, I've seen your courting canoe restorations at our assemblies, they are unreal. Great advice about reshaping the decks too!:):):)I've always wanted a courter as well, now we got em Andre!!!! Yipee!

You know it Chris, Steve Lapey brought this to Keuka for me after I bought it, its been waiting for some time. They really are neat, I've wanted one for a long, long time. Strangest construction too, compared to a "normal" canoe! Will be a while before its ready for cloth.

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Thanks Ken, apparently the key to preventing bookcases is copious deterioration, since she would'nt have been any good for that, and luckily it avoided the burn pile.

Back