Thompson question?

yeolwoodsman

Rolf Warncke
I've located a Thompson 17' with half ribs. Needs a lot of work! It had been glassed at some point but most of it is off already. Needs Stem work, decks, original seats are gone, and quite a bit of planking needs to be replaced. Looking at it makes me think it's been left out for some time. Any thoughts or recommendations?:confused:

I would not walk away from this canoe, I would RUN!!

Just kidding Rolf! Start with the fiberglass removal. If that goes well, proceed with repairs. Check back here if you have more questions.
It CAN be done.

I could be wrong, but I believe the only model Thopmson made with half ribs is the Hiawatha.

I've located a Thompson 17' with half ribs. Needs a lot of work! It had been glassed at some point but most of it is off already. Needs Stem work, decks, original seats are gone, and quite a bit of planking needs to be replaced. Looking at it makes me think it's been left out for some time. Any thoughts or recommendations?:confused:

Here is a picture of my 17' thompson

This is how it looked when I brought it home-it looks better now. It has the half ribs and the bow and stern area extend well beyond the decks (I forget the term for the elongated bow and stern).

Attachments

• Mvc-003s.jpg
    Mvc-003s.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 292
Looks nice. Restore it and enjoy the process. There is plenty of knowledge here on this forum and folks willing to ahare.

Brochures for Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. et.al. are avilable for purchase on CD-ROM from this site. A worthwhile investment.

The next Thompson Antique & Classic Boat (and canoe) Rally is slated for August 2011 at Marinette, WI. This is a non-judged - no award gathering of folks with interest in Thompson et.al. watercraft.

Andreas

Back