Interesting Old Town Paddling Canoe

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Looked up a canoe currently for sale on eBay and found it to be a model I hadn't seen before--- the paddling canoe. I attached the scan below. The canoe is 15 feet (looks longer in the listing!)-- a guide special grade with open spruce gunwales, oak decks, seat frames and thwarts, a keel and sponsons. In the picture it has half ribs, outside stems and a keelson... those things may be indicated on the record but simply don't show up in the scan (sometimes quotation marks look like smudges and vice-versa).

I'm not planning to bid but am curious about this model. It's pictured with an outboard motor and appears to be built for that option... so, why call it a "paddling" canoe?

Also, is the ring on the front an example of a bob stay?

Attached picture of canoe is from the listing below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-TOWN-CANOE-...ryZ23800QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Attachments

• OT111688.jpg
    OT111688.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 311
  • OTpaddling.JPG
    OTpaddling.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 340
Kathryn Klos said:
why call it a "paddling" canoe? Also, is the ring on the front an example of a bob stay?

The complete model name is "Square-End Paddling Canoe" as shown on page 14 of the 1932 catalog so I suspect that the person filling out the build record just didn't want to try writing the full name in that small space. The record shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3672&d=1195156503 shows the difficulty of using a more complete name.

The original build record does not specify a painter ring or bob stay so this was probably added after it left the factory. The location is consistent with a typical painter ring since a bob stay would usually be much closer to the water line.

Benson

Kath,
I had a 1938 square stern paddling canoe that was 15' long and had sponsons. I restored it without the sponsons. There is a photo of it on my website. I don't know why it is called a paddling canoe. It came with swivel lock oar locks. I suppose it could have been paddled, but it was a real tank and would have been much easier to row. Wish I still had it.......would have made a dynamite row trolling boat for muskie fishing.
Dave

Back