Detroit Canoe and Oar Catalog

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Did anyone among us win the eBay auction for this catalog... and, if so, would you like to share any of its interior details? I saved the two pictures that were on the eBay listing and hoped to win the auction so the catalog could be included on the Historic Catalog CD.

In the olden days, it seems that White Man paddled solo from the stern seat, with the front end waaaay up in the air. I believe it's the Racine catalog that has many amusing images of this. Yes, I found one.... but it seems the indigenous persons are interpreted as paddling this way too. I will upload this picture as well... but remember, this third picture is a Racinewis and not a Detroit Canoe and Oar.

Does anyone out there in internet-land have a canoe made by Detroit Canoe and Oar? We have two by Detroit Boat Works, which is a different company.

Attachments

• detroit canoe and oar.JPG
    detroit canoe and oar.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 345
  • detroit canoe and oar2.JPG
    detroit canoe and oar2.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 337
  • racinewis.gif
    racinewis.gif
    400.2 KB · Views: 394
Yes, it was won by one of the faithful... :D

One interesting thing about it is how much the canoe pictured looks like a Rushton Indian...

Uh Oh...

Sorry to push the price up... dang! I should have contacted you when it went up for auction. That's the problem with eBay's new "secret bidding"... and it was interesting to see that my "secret name" was nothing like my actual eBay moniker!

The Detroit Canoe and Oar appears to have a "really big heart", like the Indian (pictured below) (the boat may seem familiar...)

Attachments

• Indian.JPG
    Indian.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 318
Back