info on recanvasing

onbye

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello,

I have recently bought a 1915 O.T. and i believe it has been fiberglassed over canvas. where do I look for information on recanvasing the boat. I am told recanvasing is the way to go. I have also been told recanvasing is no harder than fiberclassing and I have done lots of that. any information would be wonderful. thank you for your time.
Mark

Canvas- no doubt

Hi Mark,
You have the right direction now pick up or borrow a book or two on building a cedar canvas canoe - builders/ suppliers link ( they go from start to finish-very complete). To me the canvasing is the only way to go- and you are lucky there is /was a layer of canvas between the siding and the fiberglass. We all like to view before and after shots if possible? Good luck- and let us hear how it went. My tooney's worth- Lee...

Or

Or you could stop by the Quiet Water Symposium this Saturday and see Gil do it in person. East Lansing is the place to be.

Dave Wermuth said:
Or you could stop by the Quiet Water Symposium this Saturday and see Gil do it in person. East Lansing is the place to be.

Wish I could go watch (or heckle) Gil. He taught me how to use his upside down method years ago (the canoe, not the recanvasser) and I'll bet I can recanvas a canoe quicker than he can make one into a bookcase! :rolleyes:

Back