info on Cedar Craft Canoe

garyh

garyh
hi
I see an ad for a Cedar Craft w/c canoe, made in Osoyoos, B.C. Anyone know of their history or builders? I'm thinking Dave in Kamloops might know, and it's in his neck of the woods (listed on Kiji). Looks to be in decent shape and price seems right-race you to it.
Also wondering if anyone has experience with Nation River Canoes, by Mike Deveny. He builds w/c freighters for the north, also resto work which I'm considering. Anyone have/know of his work?

Saw the ad. Cedar Craft is not a well known or great maker. This one looks well used which usually indicates that it is probably due for new canvas. That's $1000 and up if you can't do it yourself. The interior definately needs to be stripped and revarnished. More cost. At $750 I would want to make sure I wasn't buying an expensive project. Usually better to buy a well known maker and model. You could easily end up paying over $2700 in total if you are not handy.

thanks for the info Dave- are they still building? I would assume it's red cedar as well? And while I can dream, I've been advised I DEFINITELY DO NOT NEED ANOTHER WOOD BOAT (or aluminum or fiberglass or royalex or....). If it ends up in your shop would like to see some resto and finished pics. I see you've had some beauty paddling weather down there, hope you've been able to get out. Still a few weeks before open water around PG here, but may head south toward Quesnel, or farther south if need be next weekend on a quest for open water.
Happy paddling
Gary

Hi Gary. Can't tell you much of anything about Cedar Craft Canoes. I've heard of them but never seen one, assume the company is no longer in business. Nothing came up on a Google search. Judging by the pictures the quality of construction seemed to leave some to be desired. I was out for the first paddle today but it was cold and windy. No fun at all! Most of the area lakes are still frozen but should be open by May 1st.
Cheers,
Dave

Back