Indian Girl; converting to open gunwale

jdm6593

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I have an Indian Girl 16, SN 2261 that I am restoring. I have a nice cherry plank ready to rip up for the rails and I’m having an aesthetic dilemma with the profiles.

This boat is of course closed gunwales and I plan to change it to open gunwales. The original rails were sloped about 7 degrees below horizontal. As I project these profiles to an open design it strikes me that The inner rail will look better sided somewhat wider (it will be missing the dimension over the ribs) and maybe leave the overall sided dimension of outer rail even though this will be cut away for the planks underneath. I had just about decided that the original sloped tops would not look right in an open version when I looked at Rollin Thurlow's IG replica; and these seem to have exactly the right character for the boat.

Feel free to beat me up for desecrating this historic design. I do like the appearance of the closed gunwale but don't really want to live with the problems of draining water and sand.

Can't help you Joe, but I have an INC. IG 3250. I'm considering, instead of pocketing each rib, to make the rabbet to the depth of the total of the rib pocket. It would leave a space under the inwale between ribs. I suppose drain holes could be incorporated here and there along the inwale. My IG won't be an everyday driver and will see extra-special care and feeding.

Aesthetic dilemma

You probably will not receive injury, but there may well be " no need to attend " replies to some of the future Rushton IG parties. I can understand your being a little disenchanted with the extra care needed with the closed gunnel. You can however, add a mildicide to your varnish and coat all the under surfaces in the wale area. It will be a long time if ever, before you have a problem. For sand etc, simply remember to douse the feet when you get in.
I know, vague insights into the obvious. But really, why would you prefer to make so radical a change to a rare boat, forever loosing its history and , by the way, probably diminishing its value significantly. But, each to his own, the farmer said....as he kissed his cow. Happy New Year ! Dave

It will be a long time if ever, before you have a problem.

I use my closed gunwale Morris as a "daily driver" and after 20 years I cannot see any issues.
As most of us do, I drain it as well as I can when I am on a trip and I store it indoors when I get home.
While we are using it we use sponges to remove standing water. We use it as it was intended and don't (as far as I am concerned) fuss over it too much.
I'm pretty sure that it's good for at least another 100 years. I suspect I won't be around to see that.

I have an open rail IG in need of restoration that I would gladly trade for a decent closed rail canoe.....I could throw in an open rail OT for good measure.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. I should make clear that this boat needs new gunwales in any case, so I am not doing this just for the sake of open gunwales. I have several boats that trap water and debris and I am not very good about keeping a sponge handy. Maybe I need to learn to do this simple step!

Back