identifying a canoe

bowcleat

What a GREAT site I have found. My son is restoring a canoe, I am the reseacher, canvas tugger or tacker or what ever else comes along. About the canoe---it is 11 feet long--- It is a Peterborough--- it has the numbers986 stamped on the stem--- there is a thwart in middle and one near the bow---It is wood wise in excelent condition except for some really nasty paint on the inside. What is it? is there a model name for it? can it be aged from the serial number? Were there any graphics on it?

He also has a Ruston that has all been repaired and ready for canvas Thia little one is getting the attention right now though.

Thanks for all the help you can give

Pete

Is it a Shorty?

It might be a "Shorty" trapper model. Model "86".

Be careful. I inherited a Shorty and now I have the worst case of wooden canoe bug than you can imagine.

The Shorty has thrown me in the drink more than any of my other canoes combined. Good luck :D .

Andre was gonna race Shorties with me but he done sold his.:) ;)

Attachments

• CataloguePage3.jpg
    CataloguePage3.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 266
  • shorty.jpg
    shorty.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 294
  • Peterborough.jpg
    Peterborough.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 288
not like your shorty

Thia little canoe has only one seat in the stern and a thwart in the bow. The seat is very close to the back. Some people said it was a ladies canoe? others called it island girl and others indian girl????

Race?

Fitz, I had to decline to race, I couldnt find another shorty to put on my other foot. Seriously, I didnt need a swim that bad!:eek:

Back