How much varnish? How much paint?

boono

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm re-finishing my recently purchased '66 OTCA 16. I've stripped the old varnish from the interior, and removed the old canvas. About how much varnish should I need for the inside (I'm going to order Epifanes)? And, when it comes time to paint (after recanvassing, of course), about how much paint should I expect to need?

thanks in advance,

Noel

Noel,

It depends on how many coats you put on.

But, I usually put on 3-5 coats of varnish and 5 of paint, depending on how the last coat looks. To do that, 2 qts of paint, 2 qts of varnish. You'll have some left over, maybe 1/2 qt each.

The varnish is easy, just brush it on, for the paint, the easiest way to keep a wet edge is to roll it and then tip it quick with a bristle brush.

Dan

Thanks guys

Any thoughts on the Epifanes wood finish varnish that doesn't require sanding between coats?

Do y'all find it necessary to use additives to improve flow out when painting, or is simple thinning usually enough?

Noel

I have not used the quick dry epiphanes but would not hesitate to.

As far as thinning and penetrol or other additive; i've done both. BUT the roller is the trick for me. I have started using the 4" foam roller and really like it. It allows you to apply the paint faster and smoother and you may be able to forego any additives at all. Or at least use alot less thinner, etc.

I wonder what everyone else thinks about this. Agree? Disagree? Opinions?

I agree, at least for paint, I think the main thing is to get it on as fast as possible as there is a limited time (short) that it flows out.

As for the quick dry Epiphanes, I'd also like to try it, but haven't.

And I'm kind a "stuck" on Interlux, just cause I like the smell and it's worked well for me.

I tried Captain's (?, can't remember the exact version) and it turned to jelly in the can in a very short time, ie, weeks. I tried Petit and it seemed a lot like the Captain's, though it didn't give me any problems. They both seemed thicker and more "plasticy", if that means anything.

Dan

Thanks guys

Any thoughts on the Epifanes wood finish varnish that doesn't require sanding between coats?

Do y'all find it necessary to use additives to improve flow out when painting, or is simple thinning usually enough?

Noel
I've used the non-sanding Epifanes varnish, and highly recommend it. It saves a lot of time not having to sand after every coat. Though not essential, for best results I suggest sanding before your final coat.

Thanks everybody for all the input. I'm going to try the Epifanes wood finish, sounds like the extra $10ish a litre is worth the potential time/labor savings.

Noel

Back