How Much of a Project?

jadefox

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My wife and I are considering this OT canoe (still trying to zero in on exactly what year/model). This picture shows the rotted ribs forward of the forward seat. I assume all of these will need to be replaced. We have worked on wooden boats quite a bit but never on a canoe, and we're trying to assess the magnitude of this project versus purchasing less of a "project" boat. We have a good indoor workshop that is relatively well appointed, and we do love this canoe, but we also want to get on the water! Any thoughts, opinions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20130705_084036.jpg
    20130705_084036.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 549
  • 20130705_084024.jpg
    20130705_084024.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 576
  • 20130705_084028.jpg
    20130705_084028.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 543
You are correct. Those ribs need replacing.
If it's not ribs, it's something else. Unless you can find one in restored or great original condition, you'll likely deal with some issue or another just as intensive.

If it is fiberglassed instead of canvassed, rib replacement can be tough without removing the glass. ......which is a good idea if it is indeed glassed.

Thanks so much. What do you think the magnitude of the project is ballpark? The current owner has had the canoe on the water, but I'm inclined to want to get the work done first if we purchase the boat. We're prepared to put in the time, and we enjoy the work, but we also want to get on the water.

If it's an Old Town, the number will be stamped on the face of both stems followed by the length. The number is probably 6 digits. Old Towns after about 1920 had diamond headed bolts holding the seats and thwarts. The keelson in your photo might have been added later as they aren't common in OT canoes. Could you post more photos of the canoe for identification? It's good to be able to identify the canoe before spending time and money.

Dan

If it's an Old Town, the number will be stamped on the face of both stems followed by the length. The number is probably 6 digits. Old Towns after about 1920 had diamond headed bolts holding the seats and thwarts. The keelson in your photo might have been added later as they aren't common in OT canoes. Could you post more photos of the canoe for identification? It's good to be able to identify the canoe before spending time and money.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. Here is the thread with more pictures in an effort to identify the boat.

As you'll see, the first few digits are not at all obvious. It does have the diamond-headed bolts.

If it is fiberglassed instead of canvassed, rib replacement can be tough without removing the glass. ......which is a good idea if it is indeed glassed.

And it's that much longer before getting it in the water. So we need two canoes...a ready for water one and a project. Once I figure out the model and year, I guess I'll have a better sense of a fair price.

This canoe is an old town and as dan said all old town square stern canoes where built with a keelson
The question is do you want to fix this canoe and use it ? Or Restore it to original. If all that is wrong with it is the ribs and liner in your pictures they can be replace from the inside without disturbing the glass. This could be a repair that will last the life of the canoe. If the keel and glass is solid and don't leek use it for the summer and rebuild this winter. This is a 1934 like the one your showing after being restored.

Attachments

• Kotok 001.jpg
    Kotok 001.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 522
  • Kotok 002.jpg
    Kotok 002.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 493
  • Kotok 004.jpg
    Kotok 004.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 476
This canoe is an old town and as dan said all old town square stern canoes where built with a keelson
The question is do you want to fix this canoe and use it ? Or Restore it to original. If all that is wrong with it is the ribs and liner in your pictures they can be replace from the inside without disturbing the glass. This could be a repair that will last the life of the canoe. If the keel and glass is solid and don't leek use it for the summer and rebuild this winter. This is a 1934 like the one your showing after being restored.

That helps a lot. Thank you. The goal is definitely to use it, but we would like to take care of it (although I'm not sure a full restoration is a top priority--at least as long as it is our only canoe). So you think the ribs can be replaced from within without disturbing the glass? The keel does appear solid, but I was told it "takes some water" after a full day on the water. Considering the needed repair, would, in your estimation, is a fair offer for the canoe on trailer (no paddle/outboard)? Thanks so much, and your canoe is gorgeous!

Looks like a good canoe that can be repaired. Most of the members on this site do not believe in fiberglass on a wood canoe. They say it causes rot fiberglass does not cause rot, water does. It makes no difference whether water sits in a canoe covered with canvas or fiberglass. Builders have built new canoes and covered them with fiberglass including Old Town for years with no problem. Good luck in in whatever way you repair it.

That helps a lot. Thank you. The goal is definitely to use it, but we would like to take care of it (although I'm not sure a full restoration is a top priority--at least as long as it is our only canoe). So you think the ribs can be replaced from within without disturbing the glass? The keel does appear solid, but I was told it "takes some water" after a full day on the water. Considering the needed repair, would, in your estimation, is a fair offer for the canoe on trailer (no paddle/outboard)? Thanks so much, and your canoe is gorgeous!

If I had that canoe with trailer here for sale in it's current condition I would ask $ 800. and settle for $600. The trailer is worth $400.

I did not realize it was a square stern when I spouted off. I agree with grandlaker as to value. My local boat dealer has a general rule that trailers are good for about $300. So, that kinda confirms the estimated value. I also with Gary Willoughby's assessment. And now that I've really looked at the boat pictures, I think maybe it's worth even a bit more than $800. I'd maybe remove the keel and patch any split 'glass areas and rebed the keel. And go fishing.

Back