Honduras Mahogany flooring for gunwales??????

JDarst

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I just started looking for material to replace the inner and outer gunwales for my OT OTCA and was wondering if anyone had any luck with mahogany flooring. This is the first mahogany that I have found so far it's 1"x4" T and G.
Thank You,
Jeff

Is it April 1st again,

Check the dimentions on your gunwales, they are thicker that 3/4".

Not sure I've seen T&G flooring in 18' lengths either. Could be it was kiln dried too.

Don't know where your from, but you should be able to find real wood for your canoe.

GOOD LUCK,

Paul

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what to make of the April 1st remark.
Jeff

Hi Jeff, As Mr. Miller said Don't use any kind of flooring. Honduras mahogany will cost you from 8-12$ a bf at a marine lumberyard. For a marine lumber yard near you, go to glen-l.com/resources/lumber-suppliers.html . Cheers Mike....

Mahogany is one of the more difficult woods to steam bend successfully. It can be done but it has a tendency to split out on the curves. The tighter the curve the more problems you'll run into. Perhaps folks here can help you with some tricks. If the OTCA has as much upward curve as I think it does, you may want to prebend on a form using a steel compression strap. Good Luck!

Mahogany

Mahogany is one of the more difficult woods to steam bend successfully. It can be done but it has a tendency to split out on the curves. The tighter the curve the more problems you'll run into. Perhaps folks here can help you with some tricks. If the OTCA has as much upward curve as I think it does, you may want to prebend on a form using a steel compression strap. Good Luck!

So called "African Mahogany" is the most common and economical Mahogany available in the US at the present. It is difficult to bend successfully. Do your research and find "Genuine Mahogany" from the South American continent and you will have better luck. Check with some of the marine lumber suppliers. Soaking the lumber several days before steaming will help. I use a black plastic pipe with end caps set out on my blacktop parking lot surface on hot summer days for this operation. Simple, cheap, and effective. The suggestion of doing a bent lamination is an excellent one. Try strips 1/8" thick kept in order from the same board and it will be difficult to see the glue lines at all. This method may interfere with your thoughts on grain orientation however, and any taper that cuts across a glue line will emphasize that line because of the angle.

Max,
Thanks for the reply. I found some Honduras Mahogany and I'm going to give it a shot. The pieces I picked up will have to be scarfed to make the full length so I got extra just in case I have problems with the bending.
Jeff

Back