Gunwales in Virginia

johnle

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm hoping to restore an Old Town OTCA, I've been looking for a supplier for materials. Island Falls Canoe looks like a good resource however similar to most places, gunwales are too long to be shipped and I'm trying to avoid scarfed gunwales.

Does anybody know of any suppliers in Virginia for Old Town inner and outer gunwales, I'm willing to drive anywhere in the state. Trying to avoid the steam bending of gunwales.....but I'll do it, if that's what it takes.

I have no suggestions other than look for a local sawmill that will custom cut for you. I could get 10' ash boards off the shelf at a local hardwood store, so I chose to scarf the in/outwales on my Otca. Nobody notices unless I point it out to them. I drilled 3 blind holes across each joint and glued in dowels from the rib/plank side of the joint. You can't see the dowels and it's a very strong joint.

Johnle,
I had the same issue with making new inwales for my Rushton. I ended up scarfing in the middle. In hindsight it was probably easier to deal with because the stock was only 9' long as opposed to 17'. See attached.
http://forums.wcha.org/index.php?threads/cherry-gunwale-stock.18046/#post-94127
Look for a local sawmill and buy the wood air dried rather than kiln dried. I bought a couple boards and ripped out the gunwale stock with a hand held circular saw and then ran them thru the planner to get to the dimension I needed.
Good luck,
Jim

Back