Help planning canoe repairs?

Nathaniel

I have no experience with canoes and no real need for this one. I’ve been badly needing something to do with my hands, and I always thought it would be nice to fix up my grandfather's old canoe. I don’t want to start something I won’t do properly so I am interested in what you all think. What work could/should be done on this canoe? How much would it cost for materials? I am not worried about the project taking too many hours as long as I can finish it this summer on the weekends.

My grandfather used this canoe for many years prospecting in northern Ontario. My grandmother says it was 100 years old when he got it, which would be at least 25 years ago. That doesn’t seem likely to me but I know it isn’t new at least. My uncle said grandpa found it in some company warehouse when they were going to throw it out and saved it. I went over to where it’s stored the other day and took some pictures of the wear and tear. Couldn’t find any serial numbers etc, but I wasn’t really looking for that stuff. Interesting to see all the patch jobs that got done to it over the years. I have more pictures of little scrapes and areas where the fiber glass is degrading.
IMG_20240623_092625012.jpg
IMG_20240623_092726000.jpg
IMG_20240623_092819843.jpg
IMG_20240623_092842182.jpg
IMG_20240623_092950528.jpg
IMG_20240623_093131230.jpg
IMG_20240623_093157420.jpg
IMG_20240623_093333624.jpg
IMG_20240623_093611755.jpg
IMG_20240623_093808678.jpg

Hey, first off good job to your Uncle and Grandfather saving it regardless of what you do with it. Cant comment on specifics of your canoe but I will comment on learning new things and meeting new folks passionate about saving what you have. I have been building a workshop for a few years, scalvaging (scavenging/salvaging) canoes for a few years and in the mean time meeting great folks. One of my sons and I go to auctons to find old hand tool we restore so we can use them to restore these beauties'.

Folks here will help ID your canoe. Cherish it and hopefully get it back on the water.

Looks like a Peternut (collective term for canoes built by the Chestnut Canoe Company, Peterborough Canoe Company, and Canadian Canoe Company).

Evaluation can start as simply as throwing it in the pond to see if it floats. If it does, decide if that's good enough.

The other end of the spectrum is to start by stripping the fiberglass off the exterior and the paint off the interior. Once that is done, it will be possible to evaluate how much woodwork would need to be done before stretching a new canvas on the hull.

I would like it to last a little longer so simply floating would satify me and I'm looking for a project. Stripping the fiberglass off is what my uncle suggested as well. He recomended using a heat gun to soften the epoxy and scraping and peeling it off. Is that a good idea and where should I look for guides on this?

From the glance over it that I already took I noticed at least one wooden peice in the seat thing is missing. This peice shouldn't be difficult to remake I can figure that out. Looks like my grandfather replaced/supplemented some of the origonal fasteners with what look like regular steel deck screws and those have rusted and the bolts on the seats are pretty well rusted. I think what you would call the gunwales are looking pretty cracked and look as if a section has been replaced on the one side. Not sure how I would be at bending wood but I can look into that it sounds fun. At the very least all exposed wooden parts porbably need some sort of surface treatment. I'm leaning towards stripping this fiberglass off as a first step maybe I'll try and get that done this weekend. Replacing with canvas, some hardware and a few wooden parts seems like it will cost me about 400$ in materials is that a good ball park estimate?

I would guess less than $400. But I also would estimate about 100 hours labor or more. (130) Stripping paint is time consuming and costly. Use a heat gun for removing the 'glass. It looks like a big undertaking for a first canoe.

Nathaniel,
Kudos for saving a family canoe!
You can use the search function for any number of posts on stripping paint and removing canvas, as well as repairs and bending.
I agree with Dan that you should get it stripped and glass removed to assess what repairs need to be made.
All of the steel fasteners need to be replaced with brass or silicon bronze when you put it back together.
This forum has helped and guided many folks through their restoration. There are no stupid questions. Let us help you.
Dave

Back