Help Me Make A Selection

donwells

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am not new to woodworking but i am new to canoes even though i have spent some time on the water and i need some advice on what canoe would possibly be best for my intended use to build.

:) 1. first let me say that i am looking at the 16' or 17' Canadian or the 16' or 17' Origional Chestnut Prospector from CARRYING PLACE, BOAT WORKS I am also looking at the 16' or 17' Petersborough from bear mountain.

:) 2. The only thing i know about these three boats is the fact that i like the way they look on the water so that is the extent of the opinions i have because i dont know what else to consider.

:) 3. This canoe would only be used by me and my wife to fish in and mostly run around lakes and rivers but the water in the river could not be called rough just a little fast in places and possibly on the rare ocassion go camping or hunting.

4. I mentioned these 3 boats but i would like your advice and the pros and cons on them or any other canoes that i dont know about or considered as to what would be the best for the use that i described and the approximate out of pocket expense to put one of these in the water.

While I am a big fan of the Prospector for my purposes, mine aren't much like your's. If you want a Chestnut that's a super stable fishing platform, try an Ogilvy, one of which I also have. Developed for New Brunswick fishing guides, it as untippable as a canoe can be, sans sponsons. If you want to flyfish from a canoe, its about as stable when you're standing in it as when you're sitting in it. I've poled and paddled standing up in it for many many miles. Its not as fast or agile as a Prospector, but its the best of its kind.

ok i kind of got this figured out ,, maybe ,, would you happen to know who makes the plans for this particulair boat and what the dimensional numbers are on it.... the only thing i think i wouldnt like about the origional prospector is that i have read that the wind get's hold of it pretty good..... i think i mi ght like a little narrower boat if there is any that would be easy to handle and be at least semi stable that i could handle myself if my wife was not around

You want to build it yourself and conseqeuntly need a form? Don't know where you can get a form for a Ogilvy. Bear Mountain's Canadian 16 is very close to what you want. At Carrying Place I would say the Wilderness Express is a better fit for you than the Canadian or Prospector, as its beamier and more stable than either.

As the owner of an orginal 17' Prospector, I would also warn you off this canoe for your purposes. The Prospectors were built to carry large loads and are most stable when really loaded. Also, as utility canoes, they were built like tanks. The ribs and planking are extra thick. The canoe weighs in at over 85 lbs. when it's dry. If you want to use it for trips, it's quite a load to portage. It is a great handling canoe, but it's a bit of a barge.

Ditto Andy's comment. The 17' Prospector is a big canoe for serious tripping. Don't plan on paddling it empty unless there is zero wind or you are an accomplished paddler (it acts like a sail).

I own a 17' Prospector from the 1960s - a wonderful wilderness boat. It is "close-ribbed" (an option offered by Chestnut to strengthen the canoe for heavy work: a second set of full-sized ribs) and, even though it now sports #10 canvas (the original had #6!), it weighs in over 95 lbs. Great on the water when fully loaded for a multi-week trip, but miserable to portage (unless you're a strapping 18 year-old). :eek:!

Another Chestnut to consider is the 16' Pal (the 34" beam version), which is a really fine recreational boat. :D

I agree with Robert's recommendation. Plans for the Pal are available from Alex Comb at Stewart River Boat works in Two Harbors, MN. The Pal is a marvelous recreational canoe and is light enough (about 60 lbs) for tripping. It's a great handling canoe and in fact one that Bill Mason often used in his famous films. I understand that you can actually go to Alex's shop and build one there yourself saving you the great effort of building the form.

Getting there, I hope

I havent had the chance to get on for a while to check things. thanks a lot for the information, the weights that you have mentioned seems to be considerably more than they have mentioned when i have looked at their plans. For their strip canoes they have been talking in the range of 50 to 55#. would i be out in left field if i were to consider the CHESTNUT KRUGER in 16' fron New found boat works. There are certain canoes that i like the asthetic appearance of if i can get one that fit what i would use it for. I think i have also decided that i would rather have something that would lean more toward secondary stability than initial stability.

Certainly not! The Kruger is a faster version of the Pal. One of our chapter members, Max Peterson, is in the process of building one right now. You may want to contact him in the members section to get his thoughts. One of the advantages of going with a stripper is that you don't have the huge investment in time to build a form of the type needed for W/C construciton. To me, it looks like a great canoe.

Steve Lapey has, I believe, 3-4 16 foot Cruisers (aka Krugers), one a stripper and then two he built as wood canvas canoes from a form he made from a Peterboro Cruiser he bought. The Prospector, I have heard, evolved from the Cruiser. He's just made a Prospector form and has one started. It was made deeper for sure, but how much else modfied, I am not sure. Steve definitely prefers w-c to strippers now. Its more of a river runners canoe than a lakes canoe. I have paddled in Steve's cruisers and they're tender, sort of narrow.

Thanks, I will try to get hold of Max tomorrow, I still have a few months before i am going to get started on it so i have a lot of time to make my final decision, As of of now i am out in the middle of the desert here in africa so i am just getting my ducks in a row so as to have every thing when i get back home. I have been doing a lot of reading but there is a lot that needs to be learned by expearience that you dont get from a book,, Thanks, Don Wells

Back