A Blasphemous Question Perhaps

goldencub

Carpenter
Can anyone suggest what size electric outboard would be best for my canoe - 17' OT OTCA purchased new by me in 1962? I'm now just shy of 80 years old, and a 4 or 5 mile upstream paddle isn't as much fun as it used to be. Neither is an upwind paddle on the big lake, for that matter. I guess electrics are measured by pounds of thrust - not hp. What rating would be good for the canoe with two people? I don't want to challenge Miss Pepsi in a Gold Cup race, but I certaily don't want any of you young whippersnappers overtaking me while I'm motoring along at full thrust. Another motor I'm considering is an era-correct gas outboard - like a Martin 20, which is 2.5 hp and weighs about 30 pounds. Any advice on that potential choice?? Thanks Al D

Any of the new electric trolling motors would be adequate and more reliable than a Martin 20, unless you are really into outboard motor maintenance and repair.

Also, don't forget that here in Massachusetts as soon as you put even the smallest electric motor on your canoe it becomes a Motorboat and needs all of the required equipment and registration numbers on the sides.

Thank the Lord that the Massachusetts Environmental Police are here to look after me! I approach a bridge with two people and two paddles and I'm OK. I come out the other side of the bridge with the addition of a small electric motor and I sudenly have to have life preservers, fire extinguisher, signaling devices (horn or whistle), visual distress signal, navigation lights, anchor and line, and a manual bailer. I believe the expression is "screw them", or something like that. Do you know how many years in jail I would have to serve if/when they catch me without a manual bailer? Just curious. Al D

I'm sure it depends on the length of the boat and the horse power of the motor. But with all that said I doubt it's more than a Class A misdemeanor punishable with up to one year in jail.

I don't think they cut any slack to canoe nuts.

BTW that Martin 20 will probably start after sitting for 40 years if you clean the fuel line and carb. It will most likely be working fine 40 years from now after the electric one died.

I don't recall the name of the movie but the dialogue was as follows " You know, that is illegal in Massachusetts" Response: " Everything is illegal in Massachusetts" That about sums it up. I have a Evinrude sportsman !.5 hp(1935) and a ranger 1.1hp (1947). I think they are 20-25 lbs. I have the manuals but they don't give the weight. I don't think you need a 2.5 motor unless you want to get away from the mass e-police.... Cheers Mike

Yes! That is it. Not a bad mystery/ thriller if you can stomach Mel Gibson; Some great scenes of the Connecticut river by where I went to school. Years ago we would throw the catfish we caught ( big for New England) back because of the pollution. It is much cleaner now.... Cheers Mike.......

they shot all the house scenes to that movie the next street over from me but parked all the crew and catering vehicles on mine, what a hassle , but i did get to watch them shoot a lot of scenes and met mels body double who is a little short irish fellow.

Back