MischaErcevic

hey All,
I am a Student Boatbuilder from the Netherlands, and want to start building my first canoe. now i wanted to try and build a Courting Canoe, (since it seems that its dying out, having adult fun on the water)
the canoe I've found in question sits in the Canadian Canoe Museum, I've asked them for plan or measurment as building without seems a step too far for me. (I'll add a picture in the attachments) but The Museum told me they dont have, nor give out Plans.

sorry for the short story :)

my question here was, is there anyone that can help me find my direction a bit through the amounts of boats and names with the hope we can find a plan that might suit me for my first endeavor.
the parts that speak to me the most is the shape and form of the deck and the way the Bow and Keel are shaped.

thanks in advance
Mischa Ercevic

Quick edit, the canoe that matches the most and i found plans for are the;

Peterborough Canadien 16​

Rushton's IGO Canoe​

Attachments

• courtingcanoe.jpg
    courtingcanoe.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 62
Hi Mischa,

There have been attempts to define what a courting canoe is, but the simple definition is a canoe designed and/or used for courting. This usually means something fancy, something designed to impress. The Peterborough canoe in the photo you posted is a great example; others include cedar-canvas canoes often with long decking of mahogany, birdseye maple, or maybe some other nicer wood.

The first thing you need to decide upon is a canoe model, and it sounds like you're looking for a model for which plans already exist rather than making your own plans. Then, what will be your construction method? Cedar/canvas, lapstrake, cedar strip, or some other method? Once you have these things decided, you can design any special decking as you wish.

There were a variety of fancy deck styles used by Rushton, Peterborough, and cedar-canvas builders. Rushtons and similar all-wood canoes (not normally considered courting canoes, but why shouldn't they also be used for courting?) could be had with decks in variety of lengths. They could be had with or without a bit of side decking along the gunwales, and decks could be built of wooden panels or with strips of wood laid edge to edge. The Peterborough you show above is just one of several deck styles offered in this model canoe, one of of which (above) included small cabinets under the deck; another included a cabinet that spanned the center of the canoe. Cedar-canvas canoes could be had from a variety of builders with decks made of panels (usually mahogany), and those decks could be flat from gunwale to gunwale, raised in an arc, or raised in a "V"-shape.

Hope this is of some value to you,
Michael

Contact Kevin Martin, I’m sure he could supply you with some kind of plans, he still makes courting canoes and probably listed in the builders directory.

The obvious question is what exactly is a "courting canoe". As noted by Michael, presumably any canoe can be used for that purpose. A beat up 1916 Old Town Ideal was the canoe I used to court my wife. Ours was not a refined paddle. She somehow managed to dump us in the drink.

When I think of a courting canoe, Rushton does not come to mind. Nor does Peterborough. In my minds eye I picture a canoe that is built as eye candy, one that you would be hard pressed to use for running rapids, fishing, camping.... I picture a totally impractical hull that is purpose built to carry a seductive seclusive holding her open parasol to protect her from the sun's rays, an elegant Victorian pillow and Persian carpeted nest to display the focus of attention.
Boats from the Charles River area seem to capture this category better than any others that come to mind.
In the current classifieds there is one such canoe but we have all seen examples with these long decks and highly decorated finishes.
These are not my cup of tea, but I can certainly understand the appeal.

Hey Everyone,
thank you for the replies, after reading them and researching online, I've come to the conclusion that there probably isnt a "right" anwser. so im not going to worry about taking the "wrong" Canoe, ive bought some plans i found online for a pretty spacious model (ill show them once they come in) so i can have a presentable project for the assignment, and the interior and decking are going to be a extra credit job, as they are optional to add for the assignment. there will be an interior which will provide me with enough storage for all my needs and hers ;)
again thank all of you for helping me build my first canoe and the process towards it
ill try to keep adding updates along with pictures

please if you have tips on what to add or what not to forget please let me know, im a rookie after all
Ercevic

Hey everyone,
the plans I ordered didn't arrive and i havent heard from them either :(
it seems Lady Fortune is not on my side here...
maybe the challenge to build something custom from the get go was a step to far anyway...
but alas I remain hopefull, because a different student came in to save the day and give me his plans for a 17" Nomad.
there will probably be few adjustments I want to make to it, like seats that face eachother ;) and a small deck
but now that the plans are in my possesion, it seems like the tide is turning and Lady Fortune is smiling down on me.
call it an early christmas miracle ;)
the next steps for me are obvious now. make a 3D model (im still in school, just following curriculum)
though the next steps seem easy, i am aware of what still lies ahead.

thanks for reading! my next post will be in January
I wish you all a Happy Holidays (Merry Chirstmas and a happy New Year)

here is a picture of the plan that was scanned in

Attachments

• voor, boven, zij.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
Benson's list of plans include several that are in the book Rushton and His Times in American Canoeing. Just for curiosity, I went to Alibris.com to see if copies are available. They are, for ridiculously low prices starting at $1.49. Of course, shipping will cost you another $4.
I didn't order one because a friend gave me a copy years ago.

You didn't indicate what you canoeing experience is, or your female friend/s experience,
or what type of water you expect to paddle on, or what your version of "adult fun" is.

Assuming you are just starting out, I'd look for the widest, most stable canoe design I could find,
anything on the narrow side will likely put a damper on your "adult fun".

Dan
and unlike Michael, I'm the one who does the dumping in our family, not my wife.

I am a Student Boatbuilder from the Netherlands, and want to start building my first canoe.
now i wanted to try and build a Courting Canoe, (since it seems that its dying out, having adult fun on the water)

Back