Help identifying this 1950's Penn Yan?

whyme26

Hello all,
New here and hoping some kind soul could maybe help me identify the model of this little 50's era Penn Yan boat?
I've seen many a post about the "car topper" model, but this little dinghy seems much smaller than the car topper. Any idea or knowledge/resources to get some info on what this little guy might be? It measures 7'-10" tip to tail. It's in fairly decent shape. There is no mfg markings anywhere that I've found. In the bits and pieces is a metal tag, but it's entirely unreadable and of no use :(

I've built a cedar strip kayak in the past, but am by no means a boat restoring/building guru. This particular boat is owned by a friend of mine and I'm helping her clean it up a little and put it back together. It pains me that she has no interest in a full proper restoration. Her intended use it a photography prop :/

Anyway, would greatly appreciate any info or knowledge you might have regarding even a model name.
I sure do wish this gem was mine to keep..

Attachments

• IMG_213703.jpg
    IMG_213703.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 394
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 323
Looks like this photo prop is a Penn Yan Aerodinghy ("the world's most popular yacht tender"... according to the maker!). These were made in 7', 8', and 9' lengths. The 7' model has 44" beam and 17" depth, and catalogs say it weighed only 53 pounds with mahogany trim. Perhaps your friend will get some good photography out of the boat, then send it to you (maybe later using again in beautifully restored condition).

Hope this helps,
Michael

Aero dinghy.. That's what i was hoping for! Thanks for the help :).
Yeah wishful thinking on getting it back someday, but hey... I like wishful thinking!

Back