help canvasing and filling a Shell Lake rowboat

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I got the Shell Lake Row boat ready to re-canvas but I want a good job. I've never done a square back anything. I can pay or trade. I have more projects than time.

Shell Lake Snipe with trim covering the canvas.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpeg
    IMG_0220.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 40
The transom had metastened it was not canvased. Metal or thin wood over where the canvas was pulled over the corner of the transome. Where the carry handles fastened there was no canvas.

Thanks Dave. Very nice job on that Shell Lake. The wood looks thicker than mine. I'll have to see it I can find what came off.

Okay, I must have forgotten what I was told three years ago. My hands arent even as strong as they were three years ago.

Same method for your row boat, except the canvas is stretched over the transom and covered with trim. Nice wood trim, not that sheet metal.

Shell Lake transoms were not canvassed, neither were Thompsons. Penn Yans were usually canvassed unless it was a mahogany trimmed swift. Old towns were not canvassed, but had the canvas turned under and bedded-notoriously leakers.
Both Shell lake and Thompson(Wisconsin boats) pulled the canvas over the transom and used wooden trim to cover it. Worked well.

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to get my courage up. As you see, I've procrastinated three years.

I canvased a penn yan today. I did the transom first then canvased/tacked the canvas on the hull edge around the transom. Like square stern. If your transom is really bad just canvas it. Unless your trying to be historically accurate. I canvas it in the air right side up like a canoe.

Attachments

• IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 37
Nice job. I'm gathering that everyone tacks the transom first then stretches. My transome is good.

You'll get a few variations of that. But remember if you allow a couple of feet of extra canvas on each end to canvas a canoe, allow 3 or 4 feet extra on the square /transom end.

Did a Canadian Canoe Co Y-stern a number of years ago. Transom had a shallow rabbet around the edge that the canvas was wrapped in to and stapled. A false transom (about 3/8" I think) was screwed and bunged over the structural transom.

A varnished transom would look nice on a rowboat.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 21
Back