Hello WCHA

Kevin Dineen

Reading Canoe Books
Very happy to be here, so much more information about canoes on this forum than I ever thought I would find. Which is awesome.

I'm just getting into canoes and researching the craft. And hoping to figure out a way to construct one effectively very soon! If you've built one yourself what were the biggest challenges to pulling it off at home? What did your timeline look like?

Hopefully I can devise some plans soon and run them by the forum hahaha

Hey Kevin,
Any chance that you are a retired pro hockey player? Whalers?
Forgive.
It would help to understand your background with Wood and Canvas canoes in order to make some reasonable suggestions. Do you own one? Have you worked on one? Do you have wood working experience, a place to work, basic tools (table saw. router, cutoff saw, sander, clamps, lots of clamps etc.)?
You are here in New York somewhere. That suggests that you have access to wood, at least ash, oak, cherry...not necessarily white cedar.
If you are starting fresh, the WHCA Western NY Chapter might be worth reaching out to. Although they lean a bit hard into crafting, there are some skilled members who could help you get started. If nothing else, they can walk you through how to use WCHA resources and make introductions. They are currently in Paul Smiths at the annual assembly, but in a few days you should be able to get through.pshea802@gmail.com OR WCHA.Chapter1@gmail.com
A good way to learn is to jump right in and build. There are some of the premier builders who will allow you to build a boat in their shops. They provide instruction, materials and a form. It's a great way to start out. Several of them also offer access to their designs and will even kit a boat up for you.
There are so many ways to go at this. Personally, I like the ideal of starting out with a restoration. A restoration requires many of the same skills as a fresh build and possibly a bit more creativity.
Here in Western NY, Pat Smith was a good resource for folks in need. He sold wood, canvas, filler etc. and also built from scratch. He retired last year but I believe he is still planning to provide instruction at the Sagamore. (Adirondack Boat Building School at Great Camp Sagamore, Raquette Lake) You might look into that.
There is more we can share once we get a sense for what you need.
Mike

Hey MGC, thanks for the response. No relation to the hockey player but I've gotten that a lot hahaha.

In terms of wood working I have moderate experience with tables, chairs, that kind've thing but nothing on this scale. Equipment is definitely limited but I'd be willing to invest in some and likely can borrow the others (a few family members are more serious craftsmen). No idea on wood.

I'm actually in New York City so I'm going to have to find space out of the city, possibly my parents backyard if necessary. I will definitely drop the WHCA NY Chapter a note to figure out resources available. Anything similar in Jersey or along the east coast you know of?

I definitely want to learn by jumping into it. If I can connect with a premiere builder that would actually be a dream come true. Sounds like I came to the right place.

Kevin,
Take a look at the WCHA Chapter listing to see if there is one that is more "local". If you use the radio buttons on the home page you can find a pull down. https://www.woodencanoe.org/chapters
Some woodworking background is more than many of us started out with. Faced with an old canoe to restore, many of us went out and bought a few books and started the journey.
Having a good place to work is pretty important. There can be long periods of rumination between steps. Your work needs to be protected during those lulls.
Check out the builders/suppliers guide on this site to get a sense for who's who wrt materials, classes etc. https://www.woodencanoe.org/builders-suppliers
Buy some books. The Wood and Canvas Canoe is the old testament. Many of us started out reading it. There are newer alternatives. Folks like Mike Elliots book. I have not read it but I do follow his blogs...good stuff.
I am keen on several of Jerrys books including this one.
Perhaps you should jump in your car and drive up to Paul Smiths and take in the Assembly. If you don't mind driving you could literally go up and back in a longish day.
Mike

Welcome aboard!
There are simple canoes you can build, even plywood kits. I don't think, they're as pretty as a wood canvas canoe, but can get you on the water quickly. Strip plank canoes are often built by beginners. There are also glued lapstrake designs without frames or need for steam bending.
Keep us posted.
John on Long Island.

Checked out the assembly and seems like a great opportunity to see what's going on. Going to attempt driving up tomorrow, hopefully I can get some advice.

Looks like the Delaware Valley chapter is closest to me/where I'll be paddling. Hopefully I can bump into someone up at the assembly, if not get in touch when I get back. Definitely gonna check out some books thank you for the recommend.

Appreciate your advice, John. I'm not opposed to a plywood kit if it gets me on the water. I'm sure there's other ways to make it look pretty.

Kevin-
A few suggestions:
1) Try something simpler first, such as a Chesapeake Light Craft kit, or a stripper as suggested. Or a skin on frame boat.
2) Buy the first two books at https://www.woodencanoe.org/books i.e. "This Old Canoe" and "The Wood and Canvas Canoe". For a few $$ they will save you much time and money down the road.
3) Watch Craigslist and this site for a canoe form. People sometimes unload them cheap because they take up a lot of space. If you like the canoe design that the form is intended for, or you can modify the form, it will be a big step forward.

Kevin --
I am at the WCHA Assembly right now.
I live in NYC (Park Slope, Brooklyn), and am near the end of building a new canoe myself.

If you come up, look me up -- the people in the registration tent know me, my wife often is at the Assembly store in the registration tent, and I should not be to hard to find -- I'd like to talk to another NYer who is interested in building a canoe.

Greg Nolan

Hi Greg, great to hear from someone in the city. Unfortunately I’m not going to make it up to the assembly but I really appreciate you reaching out. Hopefully we can connect when you’re back in town.

Definitely investing in the books today and great tip on watching Craigslist, I already saw some forms up there. Just gotta take it step by step from here

Back