A few more canoe pictures...

Canoez

Paddle Bait
I posted this over at the WoodenBoat Forum and thought I'd share it here as well.

The school where I teach had their annual exhibition today where the students show what they've been building to the public. It's a bit bittersweet for me because I love doing this, but it is always the same weekend as the John Gardner Small Boat Workshop at Mystic Seaport, so I don't get to go there, but I do get to have fun showing people the boats I teach my students to build.

boat+leaf.jpg

We had boats, materials and jigs to show people what we do and how we do it. My students are always uncomfortable showing their unfinished work, but I think that it is very important for the people who come to the show to see and understand what has gone into building these canoes and kayaks. Visitors to the show are usually very pleased to be able to see all of the build stages.

unfinished.jpg

Some boats are very close to completion - like this one which just needs the pre-cut trim pieces to be attached:

fibonacci.jpg

My students don't like to miss an opportunity to work - even sitting down. Here's one student pulling staples on a Prospector Ranger design from Ted Moores' Bear Mountain Boats.

staples.jpg

I'm really looking forward to seeing this boat get glassed. It has a Peruvian walnut and basswood feature strip that should have wonderful contrast and "snap". Here's another view:

prospector+ranger.jpg

The "finished" boats on display included this Newfound Woodworks Osprey. I'm hoping to get to try this for a paddle.
biggrin.gif

Osprey.jpg

We also had two Wee Lassie II's that got completed. I didn't get a good picture of the whole first one, just a small side view when taking pictures of the paddles that he built.:

paddles.jpg

Here's some detail of his tiger maple and mahogany deck. Note the small drain scupper at the deck tip. Devil is in the details, don'tcha know.

Tiger+Maple+Deck.jpg

The only unfinished parts on the two boats were the caning on the seats which was happening at the show:

caning.jpg

One of the builders who finished her Wee Lassie II was a a quilter before she was a boat builder. Her feature strip is a quilter's "9-patch".

Here's her canoe:

Crossed+Canoes.jpg

The canoe is named Crossed Canoes after the quilt pattern and she even made a crossed canoes lap quilt! We were amazed to see that!

Here's a detail of the quilt:

quilt.jpg

It had some stunning details. Check out the deck which is a cherry burl with a walnut stripe. The remaining trim is mahogany:

burl+deck.jpg

Keeps us all out of trouble on Saturday mornings!
wink.gif

Back