Hello, My very first post.

ProBoot

So here I am over here in Canada in the proud ownership of the basket case of a canoe which is a 1974/5 Prospector.

The back ground on this canoe is emense to me and the sentimental reasoning for it's continued life is beyond mere money.

So to start, this was my dads Canoe, bought brand new from the factory in New Brunswick on beautiful day in 1974/5. This craft lived it's like all over the Maritimes in my dads hands atop various autos on amazing trips until one fateful day in the late 70's when a couple friends took it down the wrong river. that river sent the two into the drink and off the canoe went, smashing and bangin until it straddled a very large-ish rock and bam it folded around where bow met stern almost snapping the poor canoe into 2 pieces(alright after they retrieved it it was.

Off to the canoe builder for repairs/rebuild and come to find out they felt it was no hope and should just be sent to the scrap pile, enter one very stubborn and crafty fellow who took that challenge on and actually over the course of a winter rebuilt this canoe into it's former glory, the vessel took it's second maiden voyage that summer and continued to be enjoyed on numerous trips over the next decade.

Enter life
Enter Love
Enter sitting outside on the ground for 2 years undisturbed
Enter countless moves around and nicks and dings, scraps and bangs and this canoe was placed in the garage above everything to be forgotten and slowly deteriorate into dust.

Now, after seeing this canoe in my eyes since as long as my memory allows me to I have an attachment to it and want to repair it myself.
It is a mess,
gunwales are damaged
Canvas rotten
Bow and stern blacked and missing pieces

Where do I start?

I want to take my kids on a canoe trip using this very canoe at some point and feel the presence of the hands that helped build it and rebuild it.

You might consider posting some pictures here so that we can help you to ferret out a plan.
The good news is that it has canvas on it. It's much less of a job to restore a canoe when it is not encased in resin and glass cloth.
I just finished up a 1964 Prospector. These are pretty nice canoes. It will be well worth your time to repair it.
Get your kids involved in the job. There's going to be lots of sanding in your future. The first one I worked on was a 1916 Old Town that my father and I eventually took on a 3 1/2 week trip. I've been hooked on canoes ever since.

I'll grab some this weekend. It's currently sitting peacefully in my shed on a wall stand we built. Even if it just stays there it gives me happiness to see it.

Knowing the hands that have worked on it is an amazing sentimental thing for me for some reason, we don't have much in the lines of family heirlooms but this is one along with a few hand tools that are beyond cherished by me.

Back