Guidance needed

cannonwt

I just posted over in stitch and glue but don't know how often people look at other sub forum groups. I'm new to the forum and looking for some guidance.

Now that my kids are old enough to start doing stuff with my wife and I we want to build a canoe. I hoping some people can give me some suggestions and guidance. I've built a stitch and glue 18' kayak before so I have some experience building. I looking for something to handle lakes and slow moving water, that is stable for the kids and can hold gear for short camp trips, say 2-4 days. Any suggestions on canoes and even companies with kits to purchase would be appreciated. I'm thinking a kit because I don't think I have the skill or tools to make strips on my own and build from plans unless I had someone near me to help show me what to do at least for the first few. Don't want to build something that would be inappropriate for what my uses will be.

Thanks a lot everyone, hope can get some good suggestions thrown my way.

Todd

I'll chip in

I can't say specifically as to who to buy from but check out the bulders and suppliers here on this site.

I think that for short trips a sixteen or seventeen foot is about right. Don't rule out 15' but longer canoes are faster, more stable and have better capacity. For design, look for something not too rounded. Consider design carefully. Round bottoms roll easy. Flatter bottoms are more stable but maybe not as fast.

Talk to the designer or supplier about your needs. Be specific about the stability you need. I think you are looking to build a stripper? There are many designs available. Strippers are light and easy to portage, so that's a plus.

18 foot Old Town Guide

Consider finding and restoring an 18 foot wood and canvas Old Town Guide.

They may be hard to find in Idaho, but they do show up on auction sites. I think it might be the perfect fit.

Also look in the WCHA online store, at the various canoe building books. Many, if not most, have plans in them for canoes of different designs.

Good luck with your project, and post questions and pictures!

thanks for the responses everyone. I'm thinking a book or two may be in order. How hard is it to make your own strips? What tools are needed to do that? I've got intermediate woodwork skills.

Back