Greetings from Iowa City!

Jeff M

Curious about Wooden Canoes
The time has finally arrived to take on another project. My project will be to repair noticeable damage to my 16' Old Town canoe. My great uncle discovered this canoe after the water in a small river receded, there lying on top of logs and branches was a 16' Old Town. All the canvas completely gone and there's some damage to the bow and stern, but the ribs and planking are in generally great shape given it's history.
The canoe has been out of the weather for the past 4o years stuck up in the rafters of a pole barn. Now my education begins with it's restoration.
I look forward to knowledgeable assistance and will post pics once I figure out how to post them.
Take care
Jeff M

HI Jeff,

You already may have seen that there is a wealth of information available here. Also, check out good books on the subject of restoration. One excellent book is The Wood & Canvas Canoe: a Complete Guide, is available here:

https://www.woodencanoe.org/product-page/the-wood-canvas-canoe-a-complete-guide

It is written by two long-time builders and restorers, and members of the WCHA since the beginning, Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow.

Also written by a WCHA member is the popular book This Old Canoe by Mike Elliott. It is available on Amazon and elsewhere.

If you haven't already, please consider joining the WCHA. This non-profit membership organization and all it does (the website including these forums, the quarterly Wooden Canoe Journal, and much more) are supported by our member dues.

Welcome and enjoy your restoration,
Michael

Thank so much Michael & John. Just uploaded photos into a media link.
Guess I should begin a build page here to display photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4825.jpg
    IMG_4825.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4836.jpg
    IMG_4836.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4838.jpg
    IMG_4838.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4822.jpg
    IMG_4822.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4827.jpg
    IMG_4827.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4833.jpeg
    IMG_4833.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 93
Jeff,
Just wanted to let you know that the original owner of your canoe is noteworthy. Border Lakes Outfitters was owned by Sigurd Olson.
I owned A Border Lakes canoe at one time. Sig’s name was also on the build record.
If I recall correctly, Sig had interest in the company until the early 50’s.
When your canoe was purchased, Sig most likely ran the company.
I have a stencil that I used on that canoe that was used on all Border Lakes canoes.

Attachments

• 2474CBF6-2DAE-4B35-B4B3-BE08467874B6.jpeg
    2474CBF6-2DAE-4B35-B4B3-BE08467874B6.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 79
Dave,
thank you so much. Very interesting article on Sig Olson. It's great to know a bit more about my canoe, how it ended up in a very small river
in SE Iowa is another one.
Again, thank you Dave

Thwarts and seats removed. I do have 1/2 dozen ribs that are cracked and the bow and stern need completely rebuilt. PO had installed some 3/4” boards to reinforce these areas!

Is the configuration/curve on bow and stern typically identical?
Thanks, stay warm
Jeff

Both bow and stern are the same. Cracked ribs can be repaired with a backside rib repair. New original Old Town decks, cut and bent can be purchased from Island Falls Canoe.

Dave,
Thanks so much, slowly cleaning it up and trying to decide on finding some place to have it stripped before I begin reconstruction! Prefer to begin with a clean slate!
Have a great weekend, stay warm
Jeff

Got back from V&L in Appleton Wednesday! Dropped the canoe off at 1 P.M. Tuesday and picked it up the following morning.
Craig and the crew were awesome. Helped me unload and load the canoe back on top of my truck. That is after I cleared off the 5 inches of snow. Managed to sneak up and back before the weather got real bad. Ice and snow covered roads till I got down to Madison. Never so happy to be back home with a very clean canoe. V&L did amazing work. Unfortunately I can see a few more cracked ribs. When I lived in northern Minnesota I got my hands on some nice white cedar boards and after 30 years stored they still look fresh and ready to resaw a few thru the bandsaw to prepare for new ribs.
Jeff

Back