Great Rivers Chapter June Outing

Otter

Gene Ott Canoeist/Builder
To Great Rivers Chapter Members,

I am sending out a reminder for the Manitowoc River paddle. Following the paddle the chapter has been invited to set up a display inside the museum. Jerry and I will have the WCHA Banner, WCHA information and a couple of canoes. Jerry will be displaying a wood canvas canoe that he has built. I hope to display an Old Town Sailing Canoe. I will display my 13 foot birch bark canoe that I built with Ferdy Goode last summer. If you would like to display one of your canoes please contact Jerry. If you plan to paddle let Jerry know and call or email Wendy at the museum, 920-684-0218, wlutzke@wisconsinmaritime.org for reservations. This should be a fun event. There will be food, live music and a boat building/race to watch. Mark Rogers will be demonstrating traditional West Greenland kayaking and hunting tools. I have built a traditional West Greenland kayak with Mark and he knows his stuff. I hope some of you can make it.

Gene Ott, Great Rivers Chapter Treasurer

June 26 Manitowoc River, East Central Wis. We will paddle about one hour on the river to its mouth on Lake Michigan and attend the festivities of the Wisconsin Maritime Museum’s River Rendezvous celebration. Put in at Manitou Park at 9 a.m. From Hwys 10-42 on Manitowoc’s west side, take County Hwy R south to Michigan Ave. Turn east onto Michigan Avenue. Watch for the sign. Take out is at the Manitowoc Marina. Contact Jerry karbon, 608-831-5552, jkarbon@charter.net. See www.wisconsinmaritime.org for overall event information.

Back