glue

skip7083

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Greetings,

What's the best glue for gluing spline? For indoor caned chair work, Elmer's white glue is recommended. But this glue is water soluble so I'm wondering if it would hold up on a canoe seat. Elmer's waterproof wood glue doesn't dry clear, however, so it doesn't seem to be the best for gluing splines on canoes. Thanks for any advice.

Skip

I decided pressed cane wasn't worth fixing, once you put the time into digging all the old gunk out of the mortise. When I get pressed cane seats in for repair, they get an entire new seat, and the old one gets burned.

I have considered turning pressed cane seats upside down, drilling a lot of holes, and then hand-caning them. It looks so much better than pressed cane...

All off this, of course, is just my opinion, and is not really worth the nothing that you paid for it...

I used to do a lot of cane seats for an antique shop (chairs mostly). I hated the pressed cane ones, for the reasons Paul stated. It seemed some glues made the spline "one with the wood". This may be why Elmer's has been recommended.

Kathy

Kind of funny, in a wry way, I suppose... I believe it was a local cane weaver, who caned a lot of chair seats, here in my area, who got me thinking about inverting the seat, drilling the holes, and hand caning, instead of replacing pressed cane... A common vein, obviously! :)

Yes, antique chair restorers often use Elmer's white glue because, being water soluble, it is easier to remove for a later repair. And it's fine as the chairs are not subjected to the weather. It's easier to use because the excess is easy to clean up with water and it dries clear. I just wondered if anyone had a problem with it on a canoe seat.

Skip

Back