Filler for Hull Repair

Bob Amis

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am restoring a w/c Old Town Guide. I am getting ready to fair the hull exterior before canvassing, but I'd like to fill some small holes, as well as the chewed-up outside edge of the stems (below the sections that I replaced). The filler I use will need to receive and hold tacks for the canvas and screws for the stem bands. What brand and type of filler do you recommend?

I've used a number of methods. I have glued in tooth picks. I've used epoxy with sawdust, I've used wood glue and sawdust. And I've used elmer's wood filler. I use staples instead of tacks.

I use G-Flex epoxy to butter the split stem faces. It takes tacks much better than other epoxies which can split, break up, or turn the tacks or staples. Get the thick version, it comes in two tubes and you simply squeeze out equal amounts and mix.

Thanks Steve. I did call West Systems a few days ago, and that's exactly what they said, but it's nice to hear it recommended by someone experienced in exactly the application I am facing. I also received a recommendation for another epoxy filler, Smith's Fill-it, available from Jamestown Distributors, which I was going to use, but now I may switch over to G-flex.

We use a product called "Aeropoxy Light" made by PTM&W industries with excellent results. It is a 2 to 1 mix by weight or volume. Light weight is the major factor. Check out: www.ptm-w.com.

Back