old filler

Tom Widney

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I know the filler question is on going.

I have an unopened gal of OT filler that I purchased in 1990 or 91.
The question is is it still good and is it enough to completely fill an 18 ft 1970's 18 ft OT Guide? I don't know if they were still using white lead in the early 1990's. I imagine if its not enough for the fill of the 18 ft, then it would not be a good ide to mix old and new fillers and I should buy enough new to do the current fill job.

Another question comes to mind while I'm asking, does Rollan Thurlow's anti fungal canvas behave like the regular untreated canvas when recanvasing?
Thanks, I'm new to the wc restoration game and am about ready to order parts.
Tom

Tom Widney said:
Another question comes to mind while I'm asking, does Rollan Thurlow's anti fungal canvas behave like the regular untreated canvas when recanvasing?

Yes, absolutely the same except three years from now it won't start growing little green spots from under the paint.

I'd take it to a paint store and ask them to shake the dickens out of it. I think it will just cover an 18'er with 10 or 12 canvas. I'd guess that 3/4 of it will do the first coat and the other 1/4 the second coat. if it doesn't fill to your needs use primer prior to paint. I suspect that filler that is too thick or not well rubbed in will crackle as it dries. But it's all mysterious to me.

Rollin's anti fungus canvas looks feels and stretches like any other canvas. In fact, I'm not sure how you can tell it is anti-fungus canvas. Good stuff.

I bought filler from Rollin and I had to use my hand with lots of elbow grease to get it mixed. I had one gallon and I felt like I could have used just a little more. But then I probably didn't get it rubbed into the canvas as well as the pros do. Do make the canvas mitten out of your scraps and use it vigorously to rub that filler into the weave. I think if you really rub it in well, one gallon will be plenty.

Just my novice 2 cents

You test by licking it or eating a piece......If you die soon after, it's most likely anti-fungus canvas.:D Seriously though, some of the most common mildewcides used on canvas are arsenic compounds :eek: so wash your hands frequently when working with them.

I have an unused, unopened gallon of Old Town filler from 1974 down in the basement. I haven't tried stirring it to mix the sediment on the bottom, but from what I can tell, it's still just about as liquid as it was when I got it. I'm saving it for a special project.....

Some years ago I used some "old" OT filler on a project, it turned out just fine.

I did have to start "mixing" it with a large (steel) screwdriver in order to get the settled out silica broke loose and back into suspension. You might want to do that before taking the can to a paint store just in case.

Also, drain off a few inches of the liquid before trying to loosen the silica, and add it back after.

Dan

As for 1 gal doing an 18 ft'er, for me that would be a stretch, and if you do need to "stretch" the filler, add a bit of "boiled" linseed oil.

ordered new

I ordered a gal plus a quart from Rollin for the OT 18 GS and will save the 1990's OT Gallon for the 16 ft OT waiting to also be done.
Thanks fot youalls help.
Tom

Back