Filler, filler, filler, price vs. time

workingbadger

Mad Badger
In Memoriam
I have looked at many threads trying to figure out filler. Everyone seems to have a word or two to say. Sometimes I wish someone would say 'Buy this much, of this brand, from this store"....... I can buy old style filler for $80/gallon or so, and Ekofill cost $160/gallon. Is there some fast drying filler, at a reasonable price. I really don't want to pay $160/gallon, nor do I want to wait 5 weeks. And is a gallon of either enough? Where do you folks buy this stuff?

It's one of those things. Alot of decisions have to be made in the rebuilding or restoring of an old canoe. Filler is one of them. Consider that it's a rather large investment overall. Even $160 isn't a big amount if you compare it to the overall cost.

Traditional filler recipe can be made for very little cost.

Or,
Go to Sherwin/Williams. Buy one gallon of Zinsser Watertite. Apply it carefully and really work it in. Don't let it get too thick. Wait two weeks and then go to the primer and top coat, one coat each. ANd hope it doesn't crack on you.
Or, Go to Sherwin/Williams. Buy one gallon of Zinsser 1,2,3 latex. etc. About thirty buck in each case. It dries quicker.
Or, Buy a gallon from Bill Clements, or Alex Comb, or Rollin. And apply per instructions. It's those decisions. More than one way to skin a cat. Not that I ever would really ever skin a cat----

Badger Dave,
You can fill 2 1/2 canoes with a gallon of Ekofill. So in that respect the cost of is the same.
BUT, there is the additional cost of the primer/spackle, which is minimal in comparison.

Assuming all filler systems are equal (not trying to start a debate!!) your trade off is the additional cost of primer for the 4 week cure time.

Back