E. M. White Featherweight

Old_Paddler

Canoe nut
I am trying to find information on a canoe I picked up in March.

My canoe is an E. M. White Featherweight @ 14' 6" long that was "restored" "sometime" by a person who used Dacron instead of canvas. This brought the weight down to roughly 35#.

With it's narrow beam and rounded hull it is indeed "tender" and as a tandem, the prior owner could not keep it upright - despite he and his partner being experienced paddlers.

I removed the 2 seats and turned it into a solo...it's still tender and I had the opportunity to take two swims when out with the Delaware Valley Chapter of the Wood Canoe Heritage Association. Mind you, this is 2 times out of 5 total in 50 years of paddling in a number of canoes that I took an unplanned swim.

https://picasaweb.google.com/russ.padden/6269345408817709921

If anyone has information on this model canoe, I would appreciate it.
The lines from this model were used as the basis for the WillowWisp - with the bottom less rounded (makes sense to me).

I will be at the WCHA Assembly Tuesday through mid day Thursday and will have this canoe with with me.
I will bring the original seats etc... in case someone is interested in seeing them.
Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
Hello,
I will have one of these at the Assembly all week if you would like to compare them. Thanks, Macky

See you at the Assembly

I will be there sometime Tuesday afternoon - leaving mid day Thursday. Would love to compare to another one.
I'm printing something to post on my canoe.

Mine was poorly restored and probably should be done again, but I have another canoe "in queue" and this one "works."

Thanks,
Russ

Hello,
I will have one of these at the Assembly all week if you would like to compare them. Thanks, Macky

Back