E M White deck plate out there?

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Anyone have a deck plate from an E M White they are willing to sell? I can't place an add On the classifieds from my cell phone so I will once I'm at my computer, sorry if this isn't posted in the appropriate place.....

These show up on eBay occasionally like the one at http://www.ebay.com/itm/311408386155 although they may be attached to odd things. I have two different versions as shown below but do not wish to sell them. I can provide high resolution scans if you want to work with a local trophy or engraving company to have reproductions made. Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help,

Benson

Attachments

• White-tags.jpg
    White-tags.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
The deck plate on my White is different then those 2 I wonder if that could help date the canoe

Attachments

• 20151004_084536.jpg
    20151004_084536.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 275
The deck plate on my White is different then those 2 I wonder if that could help date the canoe

I believe that yours is similar to the one shown at http://dragonflycanoe.com/wood-canoe-identification-guide/features-builders-plates-and-decals/ with the "Inc" which indicates a date after the Second World War. I don't know of anyone who has done a more detailed study of the dates when the specific types of White plates and decals were used. Your message at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?13615 indicates that you have a serial number with an embedded date of 1947. The lack of any known White serial number records means that you aren't likely to get a more accurate date.

Benson

Jasons doesnt say "Inc" or am I missing something? I have been wondering why no Whites have been found without "Old Town" on them, unless he considered his residence Old Town, Maine before he actually moved the operation to Water Street. I didnt know there were plates without "Water Street" on them. Any evidence these are on all the older looking canoes?

Jasons doesnt say "Inc" or am I missing something? I have been wondering why no Whites have been found without "Old Town" on them, unless he considered his residence Old Town, Maine before he actually moved the operation to Water Street. I didnt know there were plates without "Water Street" on them. Any evidence these are on all the older looking canoes?

I believe that there is a small "Inc" in the middle on Jason's tag although it is hard to see in his photograph. Dan's Dragonfly Canoe Identification page at the link in my previous message shows another example where it is more clear. The Gilman Falls area and the half of Pushaw Lake where White started are all within the incorporated boundaries of Old Town, Maine. Edwin White would have no reason to change the location on his tag when he moved from the country into the down town area (or when he moved between buildings on Water Street). The early plates say "E. M. White & Co." while the later ones say "White Canoe Co." with the "Inc" below in smaller letters. However, there may be other examples of White tags with additional formats that I haven't seen yet. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question,

Benson

Last edited:
Back