Crandell??

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I recently bought what appears to be a Crandell - at least that is what Dan Miller thought. Attached are a couple of photos I took Saturday after the storm. The measurments are: Length 17'2", width 34", depth 12.75", ribs are 2.25" and are not tapered as they rise to the gunnel, planking is 3" wide, width across front of bow seat 22", width across front of stern seat 19". Seat frames and thwarts are mahogany. The decks are painted - can't tell what wood they are. The seats have "press in" cane but what is odd is that both have canvas under the cane which is also pressed into the groove. The seat frames are built rather light in comparison to my Old Town. The thwarts are contoured and rounded on the top but are completely flat underneath. There is no stamped name on the thwart ends and no name plate on the decks. Canoe has outside stems which extend above the level of the deck and a "comb" or "beak" is attached. Inside the canoe the stem ends on a rib rather than between ribs like my Old Town. Thoughts anyone? Assuming that I come to the Assembly next July I will bring it along - I will not have time to work on it before then.

Jim Clearwater

Attachments

• Crandel 003.jpg
    Crandel 003.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 377
  • Crandel 004.jpg
    Crandel 004.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 378
  • canoe_picture__3.jpg
    canoe_picture__3.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 428
  • canoe_picture__5.jpg
    canoe_picture__5.jpg
    730.8 KB · Views: 444
Crandell

I'll post a few photos of a Crandell. I never saw it, someone sent me these. "Crandell" was stamped on the top of the thwart next to the rail. The deck cut out is different. Your deck cutout looks similar to a Robertson I have. Look for a Robertson Stamp on the thwart too...?

Crandell had a shop on Lake Quinsigamond (sp), Worcester, MA.

Attachments

• Crandell12.jpg
    Crandell12.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 397
  • Crandell16.jpg
    Crandell16.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 385
  • Crandell7.jpg
    Crandell7.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 385
  • Crandell4.jpg
    Crandell4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 392
  • Crandell10.jpg
    Crandell10.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 396
To add to previous posts:
H.E. Crandell was J.R. Robertson’s son-in-law and the company built their “own line” of canoes as well as furnishing the Robertson models. It is likely that both of the shown deck styles were available.

Here are three shots of a known 17' Crandell. We know the Crandells built 17' canoes. It is unclear if they built 16s and 18s as well, or just got those lengths from JRR.

Attachments

• IMGP1389.jpg
    IMGP1389.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 404
  • IMGP1390.jpg
    IMGP1390.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 413
  • IMGP1392.jpg
    IMGP1392.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 386
Woah!

Dan, what at beauty! I love the look of the light and dark wood mix. What other canoe companies did that? Splinter

H. E. Crandell

Dear Jim,

The deck, painters ring, and flag socket are characteristic of a Crandell. As far as I know Dan is right, he only made one model canoe. He had a small livery on Quinsigamond Worcester Mass. I have owned several of these. I currently have one in my inventory. You didn’t mention the modifications. I find those most interesting. Where did this boat come from?

http://www.rossbros.com/crandel.htm

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Attachments

• 65_1.jpg
    65_1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 385
  • crandel.jpg
    crandel.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 373
Crandell

Thank you everyone for your replies. As I said in my post I will bring the canoe to the Assembly next July so everyone can get a first hand look. The "modification" or oddest feature is the beak or combs on top of both decks which are attached to the outside stem. The stem itself extends above the level of the deck an inch or so and the comb is attached behind it. I will try to contact the former owner to see if he remembers if his father added it or not. The canoe came from Indiana. It was originally purchased, second hand, in Mass. prior to WW2 and taken to Indiana in the 1960's. The panels on top of the canvas below the outwale are also odd. Dan Miller thought they may have been added to reinforce rotting canvas. I wouldn't know until I start taking it apart. I thought the seat treatment was interesting also - cane on top of canvas - both pressed into the groove.

Thanks again, Jim C.

Update on my Crandell

Dan Miller was correct. I removed one of the panels below the outwale and deck to see what was underneath. The inwales and stem tip are rotted and the panels were added to reinforce and hold things together. The comb on top of the decks appear, to me at least, to be original.

Jim C.

Back