Another canoe in a barn

smallboatshop

Restorers
This canoe is in a barn in Western Maine. It has been glassed and painted in and out. Original decks and coaming are missing as are the two seats. The profile is rather blunt. Serial # is 3257-17, width = 31", depth about 12", untapered ribs are 2 1/4", planking = 2 3/4". The underside edge of the inwale is chamfered.

The owner said that the previous owner was from Massachusetts. I looked for Robertson's name on the thwarts but there are too many coats of paint to determine if there is anything stamped there.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 364
  • photo (25).JPG
    photo (25).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 358
  • serial number.JPG
    serial number.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 350
  • under bow decking.jpg
    under bow decking.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 336
I would say, that from the pics, it looks to be a very solid and fair hull. It will take some elbow grease to remove/ restore the interior but definitely a doable project. Are there any obvious cracked or broken planking or ribs? Photos appear to show a solid hull.? The 'blunt' profile you are seeing is probably due to the long decks. Actually the last pic, looking under the deck shows a nice fine profile to the bow/ stern. Sorry but I have no idea on builder/ manuf., but I'm sure the more knowledgeable ones here will be able to help in that matter. Looks like a good project- to me.

My guess is that this canoe is from a Charles River builder and probably a Robertson. This is largely based on the planking pattern, size / shape of the serial number digits, thwart shape, long decks, untapered ribs, etc. Your help with answering questions here and especially the serial number requests during the Assembly is much appreciated. Thanks,

Benson

Back