Chestnut questions.

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
I have been asked to restore a Chestnut by the original owner/purchaser. Bow decal and side decals intact.

Size: 14' x 32" x 14" It sure looks like 14" deep to me and my tape measure. About the 32" width. The middle has been pulled in and is hourglassed by about an inch. Imagine what it would look like if you installed the thwart and it was an inch short. From the Factory. Dont' know that the owner ever noticed it. I have not measured the planking yet. There are six broken ribs and planking is really busted between ribs. Ribs are 2 3/8" x 3/8" No kiddin'. The ribs are bevelled (45 degree) only on the straight edge, not on the tapered side.

But wait, that's not all.

It is covered in PVC I think. Or is it Verolite? Kinda like Naugahide.

There's more, which leads to my first Question.
Q. -The planking has been faired by what looks like maybe a course saw blade used to scrape the high spots. Can someone discribe this? What is it really and how was it done? Or was a saw drawn accross it like a shoe shine rag? next question,

Q. What is that covering? Should I try to get some more of it or just use canvas?

Any other comments, especially as to identity welcomed.

chestnut

Dave, if my Champlain wasnt out of reach right now I'd photograph it for you, they faired them with a rasp. Joys of high production. Wont comment on the verolite but I know its been debated here before. When you're done planking, if you want a period correct restoration call on a farrier.;)

wood rassping!

Wish I had taken a picture of the Chestnut I am restoring right now with the same rasping in some places to "fair" the wood.......Guess it isnt uncommon........Mine is 16' and has a serial number on the stem....Did you find and numbers on yours....Just curious to see if they are similar...opposite of Old Town...length comes first, then the serial number...Thanks

B V

I believe there is a number, I'll check tonight. Also, forgot to mention, the seats are slat. Maybe a photo is in order. the decal is slightly crooked and in perfect condition.
regards, Dave.

I've worked on similar canoes.

What you've got is a Playmate, the 14' pleasure model. Its actually 31.5" wide and 13.5" deep. Chestnut usually rounded off the numbers. Its virtually identical to the Peterborough Mermaid. This canoe is similar to, but wider than, the old Fox model, which used to be 30" beam, and had the narrower ribs.

Chestnut naming practices are so convoluted, I'll let others slug it out over the precise details.

The lack of thwarts allowed the ribs to try and spread the canoe wide. Also, its entirely possible that the same thing happened to the Playmate as happened to the Pal. The mould was widened at some point, and nobody told the people who made and installed the trim. They just kept putting in the pieces for the older, narrower versions.

The slat seats and the coarse fairing method were typical of later Chestnuts. I'm surprised when I DON'T see that coarse fairing.

These canoes are typically set up as small tandems. They make nice tandems for kids, but are two small for regulation size adults. It does make an excellent solo canoe when the seat is placed 4" back of center.

just checked back

thanks Doug, I suspected it to be a playmate despite the charming unattractivenes. And it is a later canoe according to the owner who bought it new.

more.

the number on the stern stem. 41020 no other digits. Nothing on the bow stem.

Attachments

• 100_1513.jpg
    100_1513.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_1511.jpg
    100_1511.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_1510.jpg
    100_1510.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 375
  • 100_1509.jpg
    100_1509.jpg