Chestnut/Canadian Canoe Company mashup?

Prospector

Hi All,

I'm crossposting from this thread on www.myccr.com since the folks there directed me here.

Just before the snow hit, we picked up this canoe in Owen sound area. The seller was an older gent who says he picked up the canoe some 30 years ago. He identified it as a Peterborough Prospector, but I think he was wrong. It has Chestnut Decks, what appears to be a Chestnut production/serial number, and not a lot of other clues to it. The boat has had a recent restoration, and it looks like the gunwhales were replaced. I cannot make out the material of the tacks, so no clues there.

The measurements of the boat are 31" beam measured outside the gunwhales, and 13" depth from the floor to the top of the gunwhales. Certainly there is some leeway in these measurements as the gunwhales could have gained/lost 1/2" per side. I am unsure of LOA, and since the boat was quickly buried in the garage, it would be difficult to measure it. I would guess it is either a 15 or 16 ft boat. There is a single thwart, and 2 cane seats with square framing.

At this point I am guessing it is a Canadian Canoe Company Chinook. Can anyone on here confirm that, or have other ideas?

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/RsMGu

More pics please.

I'll certainly defer to those more knowledgeable but,
I'll guess a 15 ft'er of the Pleasure design, with the Canadian Canoe decal.
(One thwart hints at the 15 ft).

Nice canoe.

Dan

Would be good to see a photo of the whole canoe....
Someone with more knowledge than I will hopefully straighten out or further confuse on the whole relationship of the Chestnut, Canadian, and Peterborough companies....
All made Prospectors, or at least put their decal Prospector hulls from what I understand.
I believe that at some point Peterborough River model was actually a Chestnut built Prospector hull....
So I'm confused as well and look forward to hearing more about your canoe and this three company relationship.

(I own what I was told was a 1939 PBO River....but it looks like a Prospector to me..)
Dave

Back