Carry Thwarts!

HEBlumer

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
In August 2015 Benson Gray identified a 17' canoe for me having a serial number of 113769 as being a 1934 Old Town. Today I finally got around to start a restoration on this canoe and found it has carry thwarts which I doubt Old Town ever used whereas Carleton did.. These hand thwarts don't look original and the inner gunwales were spliced about 8 inches from each end. It would be logical for a previous restorer to add the carry thwarts to strengthen his restoration job... So, my question is whether this canoe with serial number 113769 could be a Carleton and if so when would it have been built. If it could be a Carleton then I'm going to have to have more detailed specs on the width and depth of both in order to identify it for sure. Help.. Harold

No Carleton was assigned the number 113769, so my guess is you have an Old Town, if the record seems to fit otherwise. You may want to post some pictures to verify, though (we love pictures!). Traditionally, Carleton canoes have a carry thwart at the bow end and heart shaped decks at both ends. Some Old Town canoes have carry thwarts at both ends, if they have (or had) sponsons. I don't see that your canoe had sponsons, so the carry thwarts may have been added later, as you suggest.

Kathy

Pictures of these thwarts would probably help as Kathy suggested. The pictures of the Carleton and Old Town carry thwarts below may help. (The Carleton one also confirms that short rail caps occasionally appear on canoes that aren't Kennebecs.)

Attachments

• c-11463c.jpg
    c-11463c.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Seat-138718-b.jpg
    Seat-138718-b.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Seat-123062.jpg
    Seat-123062.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 222
Back